NFR Question about baiting for hunting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kim McDonald, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I can understand being bothered by it, and having the opinion that its not right....but it doesn't sound like any laws are being broken. If you decide you feel strongly enough about it maybe work towards getting the law changed instead of taking it into your own hands. After all, I wouldn't appreciate my neighbor having his dogs piss all over my tying desk because he thinks what I do for fun is ethically wrong.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  2. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    For what it's worth, my dogs didn't go up to the apple stash.

kim

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

I don't bait deer but is it sporting to hunt the edge of an alfalfa field or next to an apple orchard?

Maybe he mowed/ sprayed his fields to get rid of noxious weeds. Do you think he purposefully killed all food sources on his land to improve hunting?

Fishing during a hatch? Taking advantage of an animals' feeding patterns. Is it fair to target trout when they are most vulnerable?

Legal and as long as he does not waste meat no issues. So affluent1% landowners like you Kim do not eat meat? Seems an urban dweller trying to impose his belief system on other legal sportsman. ( I am shocked).

Another swinging, bead use thread.

Kim what is your carbon footprint when you drive to your property from Seattle? Are you aware your carbon emitting vehicle is destroying our planet according to Noble Prize winner/ fondler of women Al Gore? Can start another thread.

Not the way I hunt but who am I to judge?

PT likes this.
  4. greenwater

greenwater Active Member

I would check on this also.

Are you sure he's not selling the access?

5. The Duke

The Duke Been around

I was wondering the same thing. Why else dump the bait? Unless it's to furthur their own hunting prowess. If they are potentially creating financial gains from a mutually used (and owned by you) access point, wouldn't that create a legal issue?

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

It's a lot of hard work, I wouldn't do it for deer, my dad put out salt licks every year, never did see a deer at any of them, if you're worried about venison harvested just go pee on the apples should last a couple of days, LOL

8. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    I'll be there this weekend, although not on Saturday morning, but certainly Sunday. And can ask the guys who head up the driveway who they are and how they know the owner. My hunch is, though, that he is doing it for himself and/or his son who is in his early 20s. Last year he allowed his nephew, who is in his mid-30s up there and the nephew had a fit because he ran into guys who'd already killed two bucks. The guys were on USFS land, not this neighbor (who thinks he owns the whole mountain), but this nephew went nuts and even stopped at my place to read me the riot act thinking I let them up through my land....so my guess is they want to make sure they get their buck before anyone else.

9. ribka

ribka Active Member

That is why I archery hunt. Too many idiots in the woods here in WA during modern firearms.

Probably the biggest threat to mule deer populations is development ( people building homes) in their wintering areas -not a pile of apples.

Food for thought

10. ribka

ribka Active Member

Oh my god.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Why do people nymph rather than swing, bait a crab pot, chum for kokanee, use game cameras, tree stands, etc?

Ummmmmmm....... Good guess.

12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Never thought much of hunting over bait for deer. It is legal here though so let it be.

Go Sox,
    cds

13. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

big difference. Catch limits for salmon in washington take into account that 5% of sport anglers catch 95% of all the fish caught..or thereabouts. The rest are just frothing water. If snagging was legal, the catch limits per person would have to go down.

So the guy is feeding deer that at least partially range on his land and harvesting them within the limits of the law? You guys crack me up. For some, hunting isn't a sport, It's a way to put healthy food on the table. I hear no one complaining about cattle farmers doing the exact same thing this guy is doing on a massive scale. And don't give me the "he can afford to buy meat..he's wealthy" bullshit. You can't find fresh wild harvested mule deer in the stores. I'd take a deer steak over that fatty chemical tasting garbage you find in the safeway anyday.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I gave up hunting years ago, with a healthy desire to not get shot.
    So many hunters, so little game.

Another approach to the issue is the subject of apples left on the ground. Now I know that there are a lot of apples left to rot on the ground. But this is a good place for apple maggot breeding. The folks that deal in such matters might be interested in the practice of dumping that many apples in one place.

While I personally do not condone such practice, I realize that the
    soul purpose of some folks is to kill an animal for bragging rights.
    Some folks make a living selling the opportunity to other folks.
    I guess all the ethical morality in the world will not change that.
    Those $$$s are just too tempting to pass up.

15. rymo

rymo Member

I almost posted something similar on the Stilly gill net issue, but chose to enjoy some popcorn instead :)

I agree with those who have said that it's up to them as long as no laws are being broken (same as treaty fishing). We all feel right about our own ethical standards, and we dismiss what we disagree with as flawed/unethical/immoral/etc. I have hunted deer, birds & fish with various methods, all of which give me a SIGNIFICANTLY unfair advantage over my adversary. We tend to feel better about whatever we are hunting by passing it off as "sporting", but is it really? We are humans with (normally) big brains trying to find & capture an animal with a tiny brain and a bunch of natural instincts. Since we know what those instincts are, we know exactly what to do to find said animal. It doesn't matter if you are using a fly rod & fly, a $3,000 rifle setup or a bow - we still win! If you pretend you are in the civil war and use a muzzle loader, you are cheating just a little less, but still have a massive advantage :)

We're all out hunting & fishing for recreation - most of us don't NEED the meat, so we're just killing (or catching & releasing) for fun. It's not up to me to decide who's method of fun us acceptable, as long as they aren't breaking any laws or endangering me or somebody else. I'm personally not a fan of fishing from a boat with down-riggers waiting for a salmon to pop my line off, but I'm not going to claim that people who enjoy that style of fishing are unethical. I don't agree with the apple dumping, but to others' points - a deer will be tagged either way, so the impact is the same.