Question for the guys who also 'pin

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 28, 2013.

1. it is all palm, unless you buy one with a disk drag like the okuma shefflield dr2

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    There is zero drag. The clicker is only there to keep the reel from free spooling when you're carrying the rod around. You don't turn the clicker on when fighting fish as it's not made for that. You are fighting the fish while that reel is 100% free spooling. Your fingers are the drag.

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

not true. true great lake combat fisheries are unreal masses of people where pinning might get you killed because you're interfering with snagging. the problem is on less crowded streams where pinners let their gear run long distances and fuck up the fishing for people not all that close to them. luckily, i could always seem to out walk them.

it is not like there aren't fisheries in washington with angler densities that require some level of etiquette that stupid pinners could cause problems. they've been around in BC for quite awhile so hopefully that etiquette is more prevalent in WA.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Having seen centerpins used in the GL tribs, I have a very negative opinion of them. They can represent the rudest fishermen on earth from what I have seen. I truly fear the centerpin invasion for my own personal reasons.

I often fish methods that are not flyfishing, from jigging to trolling w/ downriggers. When I have questions about them I go to a gear related fishing site. This makes good sense to me. If I were interested in centerpins I'd search out a BB in Canada or the GL.

Now pinners, that's a whole different discussion. It's legal now.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Yeah, honestly, most of the combat fishing scenes I've come upon are fly rod snaggers, some with slinkies and no bobber and some with a bobber that set the hook every time the bobber twitches. Center pinners can low hole with the best of them though when they see all that open water below you. Although this weekend I was low-holed by just a regular ol' dirty thing-a-ma-bobbin nympher (with a switch rod). It was time to move to different water anyway.

6. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I usually run Jigs under a slip rig. Normal setup for me anyways is hydrofloat mainline attached to barrel swivel, about 10 feet of fluro 12#, slip bobber on the 12# over a inline weight to another barrel swivel with 18-24" of 10# fluro following to the jig. The barrel swivel attached to the mainline really helps with line twist.

Personally, I think it can be just as fun as swinging. No drag on the reel definitely makes it fun and interesting, especially when you have a lot of line out.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Personally one of the things I like most about this forum is the wide variety of expertise you will find. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to be a member at forty seven different forums just in case I want to know some about something that isn't fly fishing related.

And a douchebag is a douchebag, no matter what kind of rod he fishes.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    To me, the only real douchebag in these situations is the one who thinks his preferred method of jamming a steel wire in a fish's mouth is morally superior to what someone else decides to do.

9. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Also, I am not trying to promote any product or anything but go with the hydrofloat main line or something similar. It is not perfect but it doesn't stretch much, is less prone to twist and won't sink after a few hours of use unlike floating monos.
    When I first started I had a big problem with the mono sinking and creating drag on the presentation with the mono after a few hours on the water. They say you can use Gink or other line floatant easily enough, but id rather be fishing than applying it to 100 yards of line.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    You don't find braid tangles to be an issue? Braid on a baitcaster often sucks because it compacts in under itself and backlashes much worse than a higher diameter mono. I can only see it being worse on a centerpin.

11. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    I don't know much about the gear sites out there. It's nice to be able to ask here about other types of steelhead fishing and get a flyfisherman's perspective on them.

The Gorge Fly Shop has pin gear, but absolutely nothing else in the gear category. Last time I was in there they directed a customer to Walmart or Dinty's for spinners. The shop showed me some center pin reels with a kind of reverence. I was supposed to be impressed by how easily the reel spun. I was more impressed by how much the reels cost. I guess you have to pay for those near 0 friction bearings. But I couldn't figure out why a center pin set up is so much better for float fishing than a spinning reel set up.

12. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Oh yes, Braid does suck on a baitcaster. So so so so so much. Now that I think about it, I have yet to get messed up on the CP setup with the hydro. I think it is because the high vis coating they put on the core. It is definitely not as flexible as braid.

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Good God did I ever learn that lesson this summer. Hadn't done any gear fishing for years and years so as I outfitted myself for gear fishing out of my boat I initially spooled my reels with braid because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Ya, second trip to Sekiu I had to cut all the braid off of both reels piece by piece and then respool with mono. What a pain in the ass that was.

ten80 and Chawhee like this.
  14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    A douchebag with a CP has mayhem potential equalled only by a DB with a jet sled. As a tool in the hands of a DB, the CP setup can be a devastating force. I trust you are not a DB, however I don't trust that everyone isn't a DB.

I've learned a lot from the 1 other BB I post on. You don't need to join a bunch.

I actually like this board because it is a flyfishing site. It gives a perspective as such that an all gear site does not. I have found that when I post a flyfishing perspective on the gear board I frequent, that there is a lot of poor feedback, especially regarding steelheading. In many ways WFF has been a refuge from that. It seems to be changing though.

Go Sox,
    cds

15. PT

PT Physhicist

If someone wants to fish on top of me or run their gear thru "my" water, that's fine. Doesn't matter what gear they choose. It'll last no more than 2 casts as I can foul anyone's drift with a misplaced cast or two. It's a lot easier to work around where someone else is fishing than it is to work thru it.