Question for the guys who also 'pin

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    You can run just as long a drift running floats on a spinning or baitcasting rod. I really don't think the dynamic of angler interaction is going to be altered because centerpinning might get popular.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

So who decides what non fly fishing stuff is allowable?

Is talking sports, especially about a team about as far away from Washington as possible, an acceptable topic of conversation on a fly fishing forum? Just trying to see where the line is drawn.

I like this forum for many reasons, one of the biggest being that it doesn't feel like an internet forum, but more a community. As Ed often compares, its more like sitting around a campfire than anything.

Hell, for that matter this is WASHINGTON fly fishing, so I guess posts about fishing the Clearwater fall into the same category as ones about pinning.

There is a huge array of non fly fishing topics here. People only seem to get their panties in a bunch when the off topic turns to certain types of fishing that ruffles someones feathers.

I'd like to think I'm not a DB, but if I am I wont lose much sleep over it.

Irafly and Evan Burck like this.
  3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Surprised you've had so many issues using braid on a baitbaster. I use it on all my baitcasters when float fishing and haven't had any problem.
    Freezing weather is the only time I've found it sucks.
    SF

JesseC likes this.
  4. Nick Clayton

Brian, is there any technique to using it, or a specific brand that works better for you? I had nothing but problems using braid on baitcasters this summer but its been so long since I did any gear fishing that I'm out of the loop. It was so bad I about swore off the stuff... which sucks cause I'd like to be able to use it.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I consider myself pretty good with a baitcaster, and I find braid to be a giant ass pain. Who knows, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't figure out how to make it not get stuck on itself... and when it does backlash, it's armageddon.

Lex and Nick Clayton like this.
  6. PT

PT Physhicist

30# PowerPro on my baitcasters for most float fishing. It's a bit tougher to cast than mono but not much. Once you get it down it's no different.

As for what goes here? These subforums seem a good place to stray into the gray. If the mods don't like certain topics they can do whatever it is that they find appropriate. But, I will never suggest the mods shut down certain topics as others feel the need to suggest. If a person doesn't like the direction a thread is going they should shut it off. Not whine about shutting it down.

7. Stonefish

Nick,
    Are you fishing it in the salt and off of downriggers. If so, I can't help you there.
    I use 40 lb Power Pro on my Curados & Vientos for river fishing, but have used up to 65 lb in the past on larger Abu's king fishing. The heavier the braid the better in my opinion.
    You'll get some tip wraps while mending but nothing to bad. Just don't set the hook with a wrapped tip. :D If you do you're likely looking at shipping a rod for repair. I also put some mono backing then attach the braid via a double uni knot. That insures the braid won't slip on the spool and can be loaded on tight.
    Power Pro has a newer Slick 8 product out now that I've heard good things about, but I've never used it on a baicaster.
    I just never liked fishing braid off a spinning reel for float fishing, though I know lots of folks that do.
    Hope this helps.

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Make sure it's wound on under some sort of tension and there shouldn't be any problems. Reeling it back in with tip pointed at water works for me. I've found it about the same as mono for casting with levelwind. I wouldn't twitch jigs with it as you're constantly throwing slack into the line after lifting your rod tip. Mono works better for that as it doesn't tip wrap as easy.

10. Nick Clayton

Brian, yes I've been using in the salt and some with downriggers, sometimes not. I am not sure how much differece that would make, as its not really the fishing itself that has caused my problems, but rather as Evan mentioned the line getting under itself in the reel and causing horrible backlashes. I like the idea of using a base of mono... Perhaps that would help fix my problem, as maybe the line slipping and moving on the spool makes things worse. I don't know. I can see how the bigger the better, as the finer the braid the more prevelant the problem was.

I fished with a guy this summer who had braid on his Avet reels and there was zero issue. I'm not sure if they would operate any differently than a standard baitcaster, as they seem similar.

Anyway, interesting info either way. It's fun learning about all the gear stuff that has changed since I gear fished as a teenager.

11. Nick Clayton

It would be interesting to go back through some of this year's Gun Control threads and see how many folks shouting "guns don't kill people, people kill people" are the same ones who are against center pin rods.

Just as no gun has ever climbed out of it's case and shot somebody, no CP setup has ever gone down to the river and low holed somebody.

12. Nick Clayton

Armageddon indeed! I remember one particularly painful instance where I was sitting in my boat in front of the caves, and while everyone around me was slaying kings through the tide change, I was sitting there with my pocket knife cutting a few hundred yards of braid off my reel, 6" at a time. My son heard a few choice words that day. :eek:

13. Stonefish

Nick,
    If you are getting a lot of backlashes and you aren't casting, you might consider turning up the line control on your reels.
    That might help control some of the backlash issues you are having with braid.
    SF

14. Stonefish

As far as what gets posted, it is all about fishing so I'm good with that.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I tried it for one outing this summer... I was on the Skykomish tossing spoons like the dirtbag I am. Cast the spoon across the river and had the line just blow up on me. As I was dealing with the clusterfuck for about 5mins, my spoon was still in the gut of the run.

If a steelhead grabs your spoon while you're messing with/cussing at your rats nested reel... yer gonna have a bad time. Ask me how I know.

Haven't used braid since.

Nick Clayton likes this.