NFR Questions about a few southwestern towns.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I think Deansie's suggestion of Montrose is worth looking into.

I have a friend who lived for all his professional career in Maryland, but who wanted to retire in the west. He developed virtually the same list you have (close to small city with health care facilities and airport, good climate, near fly fishing). He and his wife spent several summers in the years before he retired visiting many places between New Mexico and Montana and ended up buying property in Montrose.

My wife and I have been playing that game, too, as we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We lived for a few years in Boulder, CO, and, while I think Denver metro area (and including Boulder) is too crowded, the Fort Collins area is very appealing. But then, so is SW Montana, western CO, parts of Idaho, ... I don't think I would go as far south as AZ or NM for reasons having to do with future climate change.

D

2. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Being a Durango born native, I can vouch that it is a very fun and eclectic town. I still have family there today and enjoy returning to see what is new. I would not go here if you do not like the snow. I have pics of me as child standing on the roof of our house with the dogs since the snow level was so high. You would have to enjoy this if you lived there for any length of time.The upside is that you have many fishing opportunities.

I also have family that live in Grand Junction and I would personally not move there. It is the Tri-Cities of Colorado and unfortunately has its share of mexican gang's. It was a great place to live 20 years ago.

I will pitch this one for you......what about Montrose, Colorado? It gets its share of snow but not as much as Durango. My grandparents used to live there and I still have family that lives there now. It is your typical normal smaller town with low crime and numerous options for outdoor activities. They have a great and extensive bike trail that I enjoyed many times where the scenery around you consists of snow topped rocky mountains and fields of aspens and sagebrush. You have numerous stillwater destinations composed of mountain lakes and reservoirs. The Gunnison and Uncompahgre River are close and there nearby tailwater fisheries that are blue ribbon destinations. Since its close to Telluride, you see an occasional celeb and I remember seeing Tom Cruise park his lamborghini at a local grocery store.

Make us all jealous and move to Bozeman, MT. If fly fishing heaven could fall to earth it would land here. You have the Big Horn, Boulder, Rock Creek, Stillwater, Yellowstone all the nearby spring creeks nearly at your doorstep. Head west and now you are at the park and have all that water open to you. If you hate the winter here, you could always head downtown to a local coffee shop, share a spliff with a local college student and read the newspaper.

3. William Fifield

William Fifield Santiago, no fish in 84 days.

While I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Pretty much describes Prescott, AZ." However, I'm basing this on four days I spent visiting there last January. Cold mornings, in mid 20s, but afternoons in the 50s. If high desert qualifies as interesting, which, to me, it does, you can check that box. I saw lakes but did not get a chance to find out about fishing scene. people seemed generally friendly. Nearby mountains. Interesting downtown. Seems like a fun place.

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Three recomendations for Montrose CO the home of Ross reels... I will check that out maybe add it too my list. I took Farmington off. Durango iss out too much winter and really expensive housing.
    jesse

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Jesse, Montrose is also the home of Scott rods.

6. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Montrose too cold.. My wife Annie has touble with the cold winters so we need something a little warmer in the winter, still leaning toward Prescott. The beat goes on.
    jesse

7. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Prescott is very pleasant. A bit of driving to cold water fishing, but lots of desert lakes for the warm water species.
    There are fly shops in Phoenix that would have current information. Some searching might provide links.
    If you head to Payson / Mogollon Rim area let me know and I'll tell you about my favorite trout water.

8. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I think you are describing Moab, except can get a bit hot in the summer. I spent a lot of time there for my job and it is a great place. My folks lived in Delta CO for a few years. At the time they confirmed what Obi said about Grand Junction. Can't go wrong with Prescott.

Not too hot in the summer but not too cold in the winter narrows it down to just a few places. Have you thought about more coastal areas? N. CA, OR, or WA?

I grew up in E. WA, E. OR and N. ID. My job had me away for about 15 years and I lived in some very nice places, but I could not wait to get back once I had been away for a while.

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Dale we thought a lot about the coastal areas we have traveled them extensively and once rode our tandem bike from Seattle to Eureka CA. The problem there is not temperature but overcast/fog/rain. Even Bookings the banana belt has a lot of overcast days.
    I have lived here in Spokane my entire life 64 years and I want to see and experience some other areas. I have a need for a little adventure in my life. Maybe I will come back some day and then appreciate it even more.
    jesse

10. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Dan, Payson is moving up in my list. Found a few nice places on line at attractive prices. One has the Verde river just a few feet from the property.
    jesse

11. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

After living in the SW for 10 years (New Mexico) I couldn't wait to head back home. It really wasn't about the place where I lived for scenery and weather, the lack of water was a little depressing but what it really boiled down too was the people. I missed the scensearity, politeness and a good conversation with genuine people that had the same interests I do.

I've lived in a lot of different places, traveled the country for work and people frequently asked myself how do you like where you live now. My answer is short, "I love it". The majority of the reactions from the people I talk to are kind of shocked and want to probe deeper. But for me it's the people, just the other day I spoke to an 80+ year old rancher 5 miles away about ranching, fishing, hunting, wildfires and some good stories from his day... as we parted ways I found myself thinking, where in this world can I bump into a complete stranger and in 30 minutes be friends for life.

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Jesse, It is a real balancing act to find a place that has enough elevation to ameliorate the heat of summer yet not be so high that it is problematic for the elderly. I have lived at over 4,000 feet for several years, 7,200 for over a year and spent a summer at 10,450. I was young then but wouldn't want to do that now despite the fact that I have no health issues. I have watched several older couples struggle at higher elevations then move down to the 3-4,000 level and thrive. Above about 5,000' they just don't seem to do well.

New Mexico in particular has a number of towns at pretty high elevation, some near 8,000'. To me the sweet spot is around 4,000'(Owens Valley) and although it still gets bloody hot in the summer the evenings are generally pleasent and usually the snow only makes a cameo in winter.

Ive

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

You know Ive someone much younger than you and I warned me about the same thing. The three place that are at the top of our list are 5000, 5400. and 6400 feet. I just so happens that the one at 6400' is our favorite so far. I figures that if we ended up there and I had a vigorous lifestyle biking and hiking then when we moved back down to 3500' I would be an ANIMAL. We got time to look and check it out we are not moving this winter but I don't think I will sp0end another winter here in the gloom and snow. The thing that we have got going for us is we are not going to buy any real estate we are going to rent so if it doesnt work our we can move on. We have moved alot and I don't mind it it keeps us both frrom being pack-rats. Oops the new term is now hoarders.
    Is it snowing at your place yet?
    And come to think of IT who you calling ELDERLY???
    jesse

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Bad Jim, bad!

15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Ft. Collins gets quite a few nods from many looking for these same criteria. Just far enough from Denver and only a few hours from WY's waters. Lot's of fun looking into and deciding on a question like this...good luck.