NFR Questions about a few southwestern towns.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I'm retiring in a few short years myself. My wife grew up in Phoenix and despite being a ski mountaineer years ago, warm is good. Most of the family is in Tucson now, so we'd probably go north :rolleyes: . We've thought a lot about Prescott, but you're right about the lack of fishing. When her parents lived in Payson I thought it was beautiful and has decent medical facilities. I scrambled down into a deep sandstone canyon to fish some crystal clear Brookie heaven skinny water near Pine. Bank fished a nice drive-to put & take high lake near their cabin at Heber. Her family used to like to camp and bank fish Reservation Lake south of Show Low and Pinetop but yes that's up and out there. Camp Verde looks interesting with the confluence of Beaver Creek and the Verde River. I really liked visiting at their place in Cottonwood with both the Verde River and Oak Creek nearby.

2. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

The grass is always greener on the other side.

3. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side! :)

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Hell I got plenty of grass here in Spokane, in my yard, I got to mow it twice a week in the spring and THAT is another thing that has got to go.....
    jesse

navajoe117 likes this.
  5. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

I think you'll like mariposa in California great bike riding lots of fishing. It's next to Yosemite you can't beat it nice little town. Here's a fish I caught 3 weeks ago ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352433800.421415.jpg Arizona is to damn hot unless your in the crystal mountains. Grand junction Is infested with meth heads so be careful with that.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Snow bird? Summer in trout paradise, and winter in the south, SW, or Mexico?

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Who in their right mind would move to CA? Still have family there an all they do is bitch about the place and that they can't wait to get the hell out when they retire. True, it has nice terrain, temperate weather and decent fishing, but you'll pay for it.

8. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Hey bite me buddy!!! I'm just kidding. I moved here for work and because I'd be close to family (grants pass is home). The state seriously sucks, but at least I'm in the part of it that is like Oregon.

But seriously, reconsider the four corners region. There's cheap land to be had and the San Juan is a wonderful option, and it's a good jumping off point for Rocky Mountain trout fishing

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I spent nearly 20 years there myself, but back when the state was not a demarchy and being young, I was oblivious to politics. Mercifully, the 4 corners region does not include CA and has been on my short list should we decide not to build our primary residence in MT.

10. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

how about central oregon? some wind but tons of fishing. i used to live in a berg by the name of lone pine. two room schoolhouse, etc. mike w

11. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

jerry, did you like the peppers? if you go to a hotter climate you will be able to grow some hotties. my felix and bhutto peppers did not quite ripen . need a longer growing season. when are you relocating? mike w

12. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

oops, i am sorry, you look like a jerry not a jesse. it could not be the busch light. mike w

13. FlyFshn'Fool

FlyFshn'Fool Member

I currently reside in AZ and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

I would say base it on what you are looking for in terms of recreation, weather, etc. If you have posted this already, my apologies, I did not read the entire thread. If fishing is high on your list, I'd look into Reno or Boise, I know, not the SW. AZ has fishing, it has decent fishing, but it is not what you are accustomed to, they are not big and there isn't much variety. If you are into horses, golf, hunting, etc., this may be the place for you, but I am counting the days to get the hell out of here!

A word of caution about the central and west part of the state, you WILL be driving to get to fish. Most and the best opportunities are on the east side of the state! Prescott, you will be driving to fish!

What ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

14. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Mike loved the peppers thanks a lot. We will be doing some gardening for sure and peppers are on our list. Maybe we can even get some tomqatos to ripen:) We would like to move right away but we have to get aqll of the closing stuff done at the shop. It will be after the first of the new year for sure but not sure when.
    jesse

15. shawn k

shawn k Active Member

Try Auburn,placerville, or Grass Valley in Ca close to sierras not to far out in BFE and if it snows in either of those places its gone in a short period. Also check out Burney, Shingletown, Almanor. I have several friends that moved to AZ and now cant move back because they lost there asses on their homes. Also it's a long drive to go fishing. Redding and Red Bluff are too hot.