Questions about leader for intermediate lines

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chedster, Feb 7, 2014.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Polyleaders are available in several sink rates. I put an extra fast sinker on my type V and a clear intermediate on my camolux. Matching the sink rate of line to polyleader avoids any problems with fly sinking faster/slower than the line. Another nice feature is lack of memory in the leader. Like others have said, if short leaders of straight tippet work for you, cast on. But other options may be worth a try.

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

TP - I have and often carry Polyleaders in various densities. I see some value in casting, particularly larger flies, and also value in turning a floating line into a sink tip on-stream, maybe to pull some streamers or get a nymph down. But I can't quite embrace why I'd put an intermediate Polyleader onto an intermediate line. Or, a fast sinking tip on a similar sinking line. What am I missing? I see no value add unless you're throwing really big/heavy stuff.
    Thanks

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

You already mentioned the primary benefit: turning over the leader on long casts on lakes. When I'm trying to bomb out casts with a bigger (#4-8) bunny leeches and buggers, I used to struggle to get everything to land straight. Polyleaders have corrected the problem. They also land with less disturbance than the fly line . . .which probably doesn't matter much when fishing a faster sinker but I like it when I'm pitching streamers right up against the bank. My overall leader length is 13-15' . . .keeps the line splashing down farther from shoreline cruisers.

I switched over to polyleaders because the mono tapered leaders I was using would start to coil and kink after a few trips. Replacing them several times throughout the season got expensive. I was interested to see if a polyleader could become a semi-permanent tapered leader with only the tippet requiring regular replacement. I'm starting my second full year using the extra-fast sinking polyleader on my type V sinker and it's still looking good after catching a pile of fish. I just put the intermediate polyleader on my camolux in January and have only fished it one trip. I like it so far.

Mike Cline likes this.
  4. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

I have been using a intermediate poly-leader on a camolux the last 2 seasons. Then add flouro-tippet to get the desired length depending on the size of fly, water depth etc. I have found this to be a very productive combination.

troutpocket likes this.
  5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I've found the polyleaders will coil as well, although they seem to relax some after a few casts. A straightener works well on my Mono leaders. Some care is necessary in the fine end (light and slow there). Some guys hate straighteners. I am not one. Stretching is not nearly as effective IMO.
    Celebrate the differences. Glad you're having success.
    Thanks TP

Mike, an intermediate Polyleader can be pretty effective on a floater when fish are taking emergers just under the surface (lakes).

Mike Cline and troutpocket like this.
  6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Like it, more than one way and this thread gave me a couple ideas to try this spring. Thank you all above.

7. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

Thanks David, I will give that a shot. I never even thought tying that onto a floating line.

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

It has been a while since I devoted very much effort towards still water fishing. The Cortland Camo Intermediate lines had had only been out a short time. Being the frugal type that I was/am, a couple of felt tip pens converted my Airflo intermediate line into a camo tip. The problem we had was not in detecting strikes, as they were often savage, leaving us with broken tippets and no fly. When you have straight line contact from the reel to the fly, and a short leader,there is very little stretch in the system. Rio made something called shock gum that would stretch 50% longer than when relaxed. A foot of this stuff between the fly line and the leader proved to be a great addition to the sinking line system. It's ugly, and knots will challenge your skills, but it works!

9. generic

generic Justified

That's right out of my kid's Dr Seuss book!

Porter and Ed Call like this.