Questions Re Kayak Point

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ray helaers, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

I'm goingcamping at Kayak Point this weekend and will definitely fish the beach for cohos (and pinks I suppose). My question is: Does anybody know how bad the tide rips are out there? I was thinking about taking my 16' drift boat and rowing around near shore, since the ramp is right there at the pier by the point. It seems to me I've seen people rowing small boats around there. And where's the better fishing, north or south of the point?

2. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I have hooked a couple of what I assumed to be cutthroat earlier in the year (never actually landed one) from the point just S of the dock.
    No idea on tide rips etc. but it didn't seem too bad the couple of x's I was there. Would love to hear a report because I've been thinking of trying it again while the silvers are running.

g'luck

Chris W

3. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

Got back last night. The driftboat worked out fine, in fact not an apparently original idea. The fishing was pretty good but there were no coho to speak of, only pinks as thick as lice, jumping and cavorting everywhere, often three or four fish in the air at once, off the point, in the cove, all across Port Susan. The fish were obviously staging, darkening a little, more or less off the feed.

It was a good thing I took the boat as the point was unfishable with a fly rod from the beach. Combat fishing does not begin to describe. I just watched on Sat evening. Saw lots of fish hooked but only four landed, three hooked in the tail. My five-year-old son and I watched a chap land a tail-hooked fish; he simply picked it up and walked off, though unable to look either of us in the eye. He did sort of earn it though. At least four anglers had cast across his line while he played the fish (and they fight well when you can't turn them). As their lures rode up his tight line, he would merely reach out, unhook the offending spoon, and go on reeling. The other angler would simply go back to casting as if nothing had happened. Not even a cross word was exchanged. People are generally pretty nice if you give them half a chance.

Yesterday morning I got out about an hour before high tide. I seemed to have just missed the hot bite that apparently started about an hour or so earlier. Still I managed to hook four or so fish to six or seven pounds, fishing a medium fast retrieve in 12-20 feet of water with a full-length 300-grain shooting head and a pink and white clouser with over-sized eyes, matching the buzz-bomb hatch. The fish seemed to be taking in the top 10-12 feet of water. (I may have been a little over-tackled; a slightly lighter head may have kept me in the strike-sone more.)

On the outgoing tide the fish seemed to move into the flat on the inside of the cove. Would have loved to go in and try some small pink candy on an intermediate and a slow retrieve, but it was time to go. May go back next week, though I imagine it will end sometime soon, especially if we get some rain. Besides, Lincoln Park should be getting good for coho. Maybe the coho will move back in at Kayak when the pinks leave. It was nice to be able to fish from the boat instead of from the beach. The tide rips seem too much on Whidbey, and its a very long row from Duwamish Head to Lincoln Park (through shipping lanes!). Does anybody know of similar setups to Kayak, where its safe to make a reasonably short row (mile or so) in a reasonably sea-worthy 16-foot driftboat?

Go Humpy!