Quick and Easy Split Tails

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Okay, fine. Buy your damned hardware store paint brushes... :p:p

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Gene,

I basically do the same thing, but instead, I leave a long piece of thread hanging out the back of the hook when starting to tie in the tail. When the tail is secured, I just pull the single thread that has been left out of the end of the fly and divide the tail, pull the thread forward and tie it off with the thread that is still hanging there from the bobbin. Don't have to pull two pieces, but one piece of thread to divide the tail! :)

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yup, as long as your tying thread is the same color as the body, you can certainly use it as the splitting thread. It was easier to show a separate thread (and the technique I was shown) for the photos than attempt to use the tag end of the tying thread -- I don't have enough hands. :)

Anyway, everyone gets the basic idea. Use thread instead of a dubbing ball to create V tails.

dryflylarry likes this.
  4. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

Gene,

Was that gentleman Dave Roberts by any chance? He is a guide out of the Medford area -- also an Ex-Marine and a big bamboo fanatic. He is a skilled tyer.

I remember picking that tip up from him at "The Eugene show that's in Albany now" a few years back.

DD

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It sure sounds like the guy. Yes, it was at an Expo in Eugene before they moved it to Albany.

Back in the day, it was a new tip for my friends and I. It was during one of the first Expos held and may have been the first one I tied at... which was the second event. Compara-Duns were relatively new... as were Micro Fibets. He was using the technique for a Compara-Dun he was tying. Of course now, there's even a video on the technique and most likely, it's in Ted and Jim's book The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference. .. I didn't check.

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

GAT,
    Thank you! This is new to me, and looks like a time saver.

7. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Damn...saw the tread title...got myself all excited (being an old jarhead)...and see this ain't about what I thought it was about.