Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

quick Omak lake report

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gorgefly 
#1 ·
I fished the south end of Omak lake today from the shore from 9-11am and again from 4-6pm. I walked the shorelines hoping to see pods of Lahontans crusing but the weather conditions (heavy winds, white caps on the water, rain, etc) made it difficult to spot fish and cast to them. Never saw any trout in the shallows (2-4 ft deep) where spotting fish was possible, but did hit fish that where holding in water 8-10ft deep 20-40 ft out from the shoreline. I never got the sense that there were great numbers of fish in these zones (like you see at Lenore this time of year), but enough to make things interesting. It was my first time fishing Omak, and was hoping for some type of chironomid hatch. When I arrived at the lake in the morning, the foam on the shorelines were filled with tiny black chironomids (20s) and when I came back that afternoon there were much sparser numbers of similiarly colored chiros a bit larger in size. With the wind being as strong as it was, and the waves being fairly "high", I never actually saw any of these bugs on the water. I tried fishing various types of small black chironomid patterns and they picked up a few fish, but nothing consistent. The two best patterns were a small (12) bionic worm with an orange bead head and a size 16 peach colored egg. The takes were subtle and difficult to detect with the wave action moving the indicator, but I managed to hook a dozen fish and land 6. The smallest fish was 18" and the largest (measured against the rod) was an easy 26" and thick, probably around 5lbs or so. They were not the strongest fighters, but were beautifully marked fish, healthy and strong. Water temps were cold to the touch, my guess is the low 40s. Never saw another person on the lake.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.