Quick SRC/coho beach report, from Tue

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by formerguide, Feb 21, 2013.

1. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Got out on Tue, ended up hitting everything on the wrong end of the tide. First spot I thought the tide would have already been starting to drop out, but was still dead and all-in. Worse, the bit of wind was holding it up, blowing straight up the inlet. Met another angler who was fishing across the bay, he came over and we chatted a bit, nice guy. Anyway, managed a few small SRC's, all of them were when I covered swirls and boils. FIrst time I've really seen the fish active, water was still really up, this spot doesn't seem to get much flow, even as I could tell the water was receding pretty quickly. But anyway, if you could hit the area of the visible fish within a second or two, you got a strike, pretty cool. FIshed a small pink squid pattern for the first time, decided to change up from my usual Clouser, nice to see something else work.

Thought things would really get going about midway through the tide drop, but not to be. Wind died, water got glassy, and low and behold, the sun even came out! Saw a nice little rainbow, but all action ceased. Trudged up and down the shore, and nothing. So, packed out, got in my rental car, and headed back home, figuring I'd hit another spot or two on the way back. Ended up at a popular spot, no one else around, and figured sure, why not.

Started at the likely looking spot, working my way down the edge. Not a thing. FIshed about an hour without a bump, tide was really about out. Found a big eddy a ways down, and started to see a few coho jump clear out of the water, the way that they seem to do. Started getting lots of solid hits, but kept missing them and coming up short. Checked my hook, sure enough, bent hook tip, likely from an errant backcast that hit a rock (my casting was getting sloppy at the end, ugh...) Changed up, quickly landed a small coho. Then, a few nicer SRC's in a row. Then, more missed strikes, hook check, all good. So, changed patterns, went smaller, fish are really swirling and boiling now, and still not getting tight. Ended up leaving as the sun was setting, fish still rolling around. Nice puzzle to try and solve, thinking I'm still throwing too large a pattern at them, going to tie some small scud/shrimp patterns and dry dead drfiting them. Fish were clearly in the eddy holding in lanes at the end, there was enough back current to allow this. Neat way to end the day, but man, was I cold at the end, hands frozen and wind/water chapped. Need to remember to take some lotion or something for the car (I'm a wimp, what can I say...)

Anyway, I keep seeing and reading that this is a slow time of year on the salt, so can't wait until things pick up. Keep learning new things, and remembering things I'd forgotten from when I did a lot of this type of fishing- like, always stripping my first few strips of line out of my basket, then start stripping into it. This prevents the "bottom" loops of line from lifting out and tangling all of your line when you go to cast after you've stripped everything in- due to your casting motion moving the line since the bottom loops are nearest your reel, if that makes sense. The minute I started doing this again, I stopped having (for the most part) tangled running line. It's the little things, and I am finding myself recalling this stuff that used to come naturally to me.

Going to try a new spot this afternoon that I THINK I can get down to (Google maps is so useful...) Hope to keep meeting a few of you on the water, guy I met on Tue was a pleasant dude, he managed a few nice fish while we chatted, his first of the year he said. Later all, thanks again for a great site and de facto "fireside" for chatting!

Quick pic of a coho, on a really long Clouser that I was trying, with gills.
    [​IMG]

Dan

2. Ybsong

Ybsong Member

Great report, and beautiful pic. I can vouch for using a small scud. I've been experimenting with small scuds this winter, usually tying them trailing them off of other small flies (like shrimp or amphipods) with 12"-16" of leader. Has worked the best for me using floating line, in a strong current, mostly dead drifting with occasional short twitchy strips.

formerguide likes this.
  3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Thanks for a nice report formerguide! And that is a nice silver. I like your tip about the stripping basket. Excellent. Glad you are finding some action. Also, don't miss fall fishing come September, October, November. All good months.

Richard Torres and formerguide like this.
  4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Sweet! Making the most of the winter, glad you are exploring and having fun! Your reports are always balanced and informative!
    Cheers!

formerguide likes this.
  5. rotato

rotato Active Member

That is a fat coho!
    Sweet fish

You can also tie some mini clousers with sparse hair about one inch in length
    Small bead chain to give it action but not enough to flip it

Sounds like you are dialing it in
    Ciao

formerguide likes this.
  6. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Nice looking rezzie for February. I need to get down to MA-13 this spring.

formerguide likes this.
  7. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

Great report, and thanks for sharing that little tidbit about line management. I was out the other day and got super frustrated by the very problem you mentioned. I'll have to try your technique next time.

Incidentally, does anyone still give their line a stretch before fishing? I was told that it's not necessary with the lines in use today.

formerguide likes this.
  8. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Nice report and fish! I had thought of going out today, but had a bit of work come up...

formerguide likes this.
  9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

When in doubt, giver a stretch! Most lines I have need a little stretching. My latest Airflo 40+ doesn't seem to need much. I thought that was a very good tip that formerguide had. For sure I'm going to give that a go. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!

formerguide likes this.
  10. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

This is what I love about the site, learning something new every day.
    Excellent post formerguide!