Quilcene area of MA 12 opens tomorrow

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bigdood, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

2. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

That's some good looking vittles right there!

3. JayB

JayB Active Member

There are a few areas featuring lockjawed estuary coho in the greater kitsap area. IIRC, in "Fly Fishing Inshore Saltwater for Pacific Salmon" Richard Stoll suggested that the "Green Wheenie" fished with the "amphipod hop" retrieve allowed him to get strikes from staging coho that other folks had given up on. Anyone else given that a try and had any success?

Ed Call likes this.
  4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Denny, Tribal members from the tribes that traditionally fished the Quilcene and the Skokomish can legally snag salmon in those rivers.

5. Jim Wallace

I may be heading up to the rain shadow area soon. Almost went today. But I want to check out some local action tomorrow morning. And I need to force myself to sit down in front of the vice, and whip up some frauds.

I was thinking of maybe paddling in some protected bay or inlet while I'm there. Possibly Sunday or Monday early morning.
    I'll be avoiding the hatchery salmon fishing in the rivers,though.
    If I do fish a river instead of paddling the salt or casting from a beach, I might just head back in to explore the upper Dungeness.

Anybody else planning to go fish around those parts on Sun or Mon?

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Last fall I was fishing Lagoon Point and talked to another fly fisherman that was in his pontoon fishing the point. A bit crazy in my opinion....

He was getting back into fly fishing following a stint of busy life. He explained he use to fish the salt a lot and he even had a simple little pattern of his catch on and it was included in Les' book. The Green Weenie was his fly ;-)

As one notable local said about the fly, "unfortunate name" haha

Anyway, his name escapes me but he was a very friendly guy. Wish i would have asked for a fly!

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Crofts Spider and California Neil are also both excellent patterns for staging coho.

Jimbo,
    You should strap on a Go Pro and run the gaunlet by going up the mouth of the Quilcene in your yak....:D

Jim Wallace and Jeff Dodd like this.
  8. Jim Wallace

That would be fun! First, I'd sharpen the edges of my paddle blades, and maybe even glue razor blades to the zone where the blade skinnies down to the shaft. Then I could blast thru in a fury of paddle strokes and cut lines like nobody's business!;)