Quinalt steelhead fly recommendations

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dirk Pitt, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Mingo,
    You used to have a TV show? I want all episodes on DVD, to watch non stop from now until trout season opens again on the creeks. I will do nothing else.

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Stonefish,

I'm almost positive the Angie that is being referred to as the Quinault guide is not Angie (non sponsor link deleted) In fact, after reading some of the stuff on her page, I'm sure she would be offended that she was being associated with tribal fishing. She expresses pretty strong anti-tribal feelings.

3. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Let me throw in another name, though this individual is not a tribal guide and I have not been out with him but only spoken to him. I don't know if he is licensed by the tribe to fish their section of the river. He did offer half-day as well as full-day trips the last time we spoke.

His name is Roger Blain and he is a retired NPS ranger with a flyfishing orientation. I picked up his name while looking around up there about eighteen months ago and have spoken to him over the phone a couple of times. He seems very knowledgeable, is well spoken of by locals I've talked to, and he's been very willing to share up-to-the moment fishing news when I've called, which has been helpful when you consider how long a trip it is for most people to go up there.

Here's contact information for him:

rogerblain@earthlink.net

non sponsor link deleted

4. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Yea Bob,
    Clay would be my recomendation, or Robin, and no Definitly not the same Angie, Clay used to be head cop out there and a us marshal but is no longer, guides full time now and is VERY booked, good luck, fun fishing
    Jim

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

BBD,
    I was hoping for Dirks sake it wasn't the same Angie. The fishing godess does have quite a reputation. As I had mentioned, I didn't recall her being a Quinault tribal guide. Based on my past readings of her website, I'm not sure she would ever be offended by much of anything. Sorry for the confusion in posting the wrong info. No harm intended to either Angie. I'm sure if Letty recommended Angie, Dirk will have a fine trip.

Uncle Jimmy,
    The last time I spoke to Clay was a while back. He had just gotten a new spey rod. Someone had told me he was was the Police Chief at another reservation. If he's now guiding full time, thats great to hear. Thanks for the update.
    Brian

6. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

You had me going for a minute there, Stonefish! I don't think they are one and the same, although it might have been interesting to cracker one off! Thank you all for your recommendations. Robbin is the quide who had a client early this year nail a 30lb steelhead, if memory serves. Won't see any that big at Cook creek, I just hope to get in to some fish, I'm tying flies like crazy for this trip for both me and a buddy, so we will see what happens. Bob.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah include me.....is your wife in it too....bikini style (JK). serious i'm interested.... as is Zen. Zen congrats on 2,000 post .....I don't know where I missed it exactly....Keep it up love hearing fromya and your input.

8. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Back to the topic at hand. Dirk, How do you know the river's going to be in good shape on Dec. 10th? If at all possible I would make your trip plans flexible. Maybe around Dec. 10th if the river looks good. This is something far more important than fly selection.

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Sixfinger,

Not trying to steal Dirk's thread nor answer. However, I do believe that I can provide one. Since tribal walk-in trips with reputable guides fill up rather quickly during the peak hatchery returns, generally you book a trip in advance and hope the water conditions are favorable when you arrive. If not, you usually get a call from your guide indicating the trip should be re-scheduled.

You certainly are correct about fly choice as Cupo mentioned earlier. If water conditions are good (and this is a rainforest so the water can blow out at any time) fly pattern is rarely an issue.

10. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    This Angie is Letty's sister.

Clay's brother Harry is still on the tribal police force. We used to call him Dirty Harry. They used to call me "Taholah Vice".

Another guide that's a great for wild stories and a great time is Inky Charley. I wonder if he ever has any openings though.

11. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

I have fished with Inky, and his son Tandy several times in the past, Inky got me my first steelhead early this year. I don't think he does walk ins at his age anymore, but he knows the Quinalt like nobody else, his son as well. Thanks for the assist, BDD, as you stated, trips are scheduled in advance, usually at least a month, so if the weather sucks, live with it, if the river is blown, reschedule, thems the rules. I'll cross my fingers, click my heels three times, and say "there's no river like the Quinalt, there's no river like the Quinalt, there's no river like the Quinalt", drink to the fish gods, and we'll see what happens! Lol. Bob.

12. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

makes sense! I' ve never used a guide so I didnt realize the scheduling lead time. Hope you have fun!