Radioactive

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Thompson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

It doesn't seem to be a concern for our migratory fish, at least yet, if the most recent sets of tests from different sites are correct. Shellfish, clams, oysters, etc, I don't know. We'll have to stay tuned for the next several decades to know the full extent of this disaster, but for now, I'm not yet worried about Cesium or Iodine radioactivity from my fish. Mercury and PCB's on the other hand. . .

fb

Alexander likes this.
  2. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

So here's one for you, take it for what it's worth...

I have worked in numerous nuclear facilities over the past decade or so, including Columbia Nuclear here in WA. I only worked in BOP (balance of plant/non safety related) areas and components, but nonetheless would spend weeks on end inside the facilities. I got flagged going through dosimetry one day, and was quarantined immediately. I didn't freak out, but nonetheless had a fairly healthy level of apprehension. Long story short, after several days of testing I was cleared, and as far as I, and my doctors were aware, all is fine.

That same week, someone from the refuel team fell into the spent fuel rod pool. Talk about crazy/scary. He was not tethered in while crossing the catwalk over the pool, dropped a flashlight, and while bending over to pick it up, lost his balance and fell in. I mean, damn... As far as I heard, he was back to work the next day or two after the incident.

So, no idea what any of this means. Nuclear power has so much upside, and while remote, soooo much downside in the unlikely event of a catastrophe, as Fukashima and Chernobyl have so poignantly shown us.

$.02

Dan

Edit: whenever I read about such things, especially related to fish, I cannot for the life of me not immediately picture the 3-headed fish from The Simpsons!

3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

^Maybe you are both some kind of human with special abilities now! :D. Unbeknownst to yourself you may have superhero abilities! :D

formerguide likes this.
  4. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Haha, well, as they say, better to be lucky than to be good, so perhaps better to be radioactive than to be lucky!

Likely explains why I'm always up at 0300 every morning, ugh...

Dan

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Lol! Was going to tell you - Git back to bed! I'm always up early as well! I work 4/10's and when I do I'm up at 3ish and somehow that pattern doesn't change regardless of work day or non work day.

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Here's the thing that bothers me the most.
    There is not a damn thing anyone or any government can do about this.
    The damn melt down will go on until it burns itself out or melts into the magma core.
    It will take many life times or possible never to clean up.
    This is not just another drop in the bucket, it's a shit ton of toxic crap going into the ocean daily.
    I'm I worried "no" I'm I going to go play in the Pacific ocean or eat the fish "Hell No"

7. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

copied and pasted from another fourm...

"500,000 gallons of water containing 97,000 Bq/Liter of radiation were released from the plant! Sounds horrifying, until you realize that there are 352,670,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the Pacific Ocean (per NOAA) to dilute it."

"NO...one particle of radioactive material lodged in your heart will not kill you. There's a small chance that it could cause cancer 20 years down the road. But the odds of that happening from one particle are really low.

NO...the decay products of Uranium do not have half lives of hundreds of thousands of years. Caesium 137 has a half life of 30 years, which is still significant. There was a TINY amount of Plutonium found at nearby sites, which has a half life of 88 years for the most common isotope. There are isotopes of Plutonium that have much longer half lives (6500 or so years) but they are very, very rare.

Now consider something called "background radiation." There is a natural level of radiation all around us, at this moment. Some comes from Radon in the soil. Some comes from fallout from the open-air nuclear tests of the 1950's. We get some radiation from the sun, which tends to get worse as you approach the southern latitudes. Some comes from food, and yet more from certain building materials. The stuff is everywhere!

As nuclear particles disperse, they spread out to the point that the radiation they produce is indistinguishable from background.

I had to look up "Becquerel" because when I was a nuclear power plant operator in the Navy, we used RADs and REM to measure radiation dosing. It looks like one Becquerel = one neutron decaying. It is not a measure of Tritium or Strontium, but a rather a measure of the radiation itself. A Becquerel (Bq) is an EXTREMELY small unit of measure. You may have heard of another unit of measure for radioactivity called the Curie.

1 Curie = 37,000,000,000 Becquerels

One well near Fukushima tested at 97,000 becquerels/liter, which is too high to release into the environment per existing standards.

But put that in perspective, a household smoke detector releases 30,000 Bq (Becquerels). So the water we're discussing has the radioactive equivalent of three (3) smoke detectors per liter, or 3 SD/L. By the time that level of radioactivity gets dispersed in the ocean and reaches us...it will be barely detectable.

Fukushima is a real problem for Japan and the local region, but not so much for the US. I'm not trying to downplay what a disaster this is for Japan, but I wouldn't worry too much about mutant starfish."

8. kurtataltos

kurtataltos Active Member

Google Fukushima and Snopes. This "emergency" getting plastered on the internet (anything on the internet must be a true fact...) is nothing more than a bad joke, not factual... a scam preying on those that just fell off the turnip truck. Nothing against turnips, mind you. Google as noted or just go to snopes.com and enter Fukushima.

9. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

I think folks should stop eating the fish. . .and pass along any early summer kings my way so that I can take care of them for you :D

fb

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

The glow in the dark shrimp should make for interesting convesation at the 10pm cocktail party

11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The more informed I am the better.
    Right now I'm going to keep an eye on how this mess plays out, and still out of the water.

12. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Pulled this from another forum with a few nuke techs or people in the nuke field. Original article was very similar to these ones, lots of fear mongering.

13. generic

generic Active Member

I hope you all know.... that there are members of this forum that work in the field of nuclear reactors.

I just wish they'd chime in, and set us all straight with the facts. Then again, maybe they can't. Remember, "Big Brother" is watching. :eek:

:p

14. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

I was freaking out about this as well. And after reading many, many articles, I am not freaking out quite as bad anymore. Fukushima is bad, and I hope they get it under control, but it is a drop in the ocean.

I do believe that if it our government, and all the others that line the Pacific Ocean, were concerned with our Pacific fish being ruined forever, that there would be a global effort to control this situation. But what do I know... I would hope there are some very smart nuclear physicists in the world who would be sounding some huge alarms if Fukushima were a real threat to ending the consumption of Pacific fish.

While I am a little scared about eating eating our fish because of radiation, I am more scared about eating our fish because of PCBs and mercury.

If you're scared of Fukushima, read this and you'll be just as scared of Hanford!

This is actually a good read, check it out: http://www.rense.com/general96/hanford.html

The solution to pollution is dilution!

~RZ

15. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Dan....the dose rates should have been explained to you and are closely monitored, I used to work there too. Today my greatest concerns are the doctor, who doses me much higher than Hanford (and has no idea what the dose rates are), and TSA who seem to think dosing me with radiation is non intrusive. If you are flying and older, I'd advise taking the pat down. The equipment concentrates dosage in the face where skin cancers are more prevalent in older folks. Eating the fish is my least concern, but then I don't like to eat salmonoids anyway.....