Radioactive

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Thompson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Gary,

Your concern is valid and real. Some of these other guys will figure it out someday. I'm with you.

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

" I'd advise taking the pat down," Is that for health reasons or just a cheap thrill?

3. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

More facts that may interest those, especially over in Spokane area. In Washington, we have the Hanford reach which drains to the Columbia, but that isn't the start of radioactive contamination into WA's home rivers.

I was searching creeks to fish, fishing different access points, wet wading because it was summer. Well, upon driving down one road, towards the creek basin, I was stopped by a big gate with a radioactive sign, that said, no trespassing among other things. Needless to say, I never felt the need to fish that area again, not that I caught any fish to speak of...

The Midnight Mine, a uranium mine, which is on Spokane's Indian Reservation, has been a superfund site for some time now. The 300 some acres of radioactive water and uranium ore left to the elements drains into the Spokane River, and contaminates all kinds of wildlife at the site and downstream.

Check the video: http://www.toxipedia.org/display/wanmec/Midnite+uranium+mine,+Spokane,+WA

4. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/30/1221834110.full.pdf+html

National Academy of Science reports that, yes, trace amounts of radioactive isotopes have been found in Pacific Bluefin tuna. But the vast majority of that radioactive material comes from naturally occuring sources, primarily Polonium (Po). "Fukushima-derived were three to four orders of magnitude below Po-derived doses."

In short, fish already carry radioactive material -- and ALWAYS HAVE! Indeed, virtually all living things have some trace level of radioactive material. Worth noting that bananas have a relatively high naturally occurring trace level of isotopes. Where's the hysteria over glowing bananas?

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

O'shit now I can't eat bananas. Thanks Dan

6. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Holy crap, talk about fear mongering. That article has so much opinion and speculation its insane. Great comedic read though. Not to mention his radiation readings. A full 10 Microsieverts is the amount of radiation the average person receives in one day. This dude is claiming someone wearing a glove showing .28 is a dead man walking. Laughable.

Yes, part of the reason for the restriction on eating fish from lake Roosevelt.

7. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Yes the problem is people, like yours truly, don't understand a thing about things that are radioactive, so we just become afraid. And since its not something that is easily understood by reading one or ten articles on the subject, most of which are fear mongering, it makes a lot of space for worry. That said, I do know that radioactive particles can be bad for you, just as motor oil, grease, paints, foods, mercury, have carcinogens that can be bad as well.

One truth is that radioactivity, to an extent, is that it is in a lot of the world around us. Like you fellows have said, in bananas, occurring naturally, smoke detectors, x ray machines, etc. Trying to be well informed is a good weapon against the fear mongers. I wish there were a way to test individual fish, clams, and seafood, because I love and want to eat it! :)

I guess if people stop eating pacific fish, the indians will stop netting, and fish runs will be incredible, right? Hmm...

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

One less person on the beach fighting for space.

9. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

Two recent pieces worth reading / watching about the potential of Fukushima radiation in fish and on the US west coast:

Scientists Say Stop Worrying About Fukushima Radioactivity In Fish
    http://earthfix.opb.org/water/article/scientists-say-stop-worrying-about-fukushima-radio/

Fukushima Radiation: What You've Heard are Lies!
    http://news.discovery.com/tech/videos/fukushima-radiation-what-youve-heard-are-lies-video.htm

Like a lot of guys on here probably do, I eat a LOT of salmon (thanks trolling with gear...). And the conclusion of everything I've read on the issue? I will get 1000x more radiation from each doctors visit than from eating pacific salmon every week. Now Hanford, that would worry me a lot more if my fish came from the Columbia...

10. thesankers

thesankers Active Member

"This is actually a good read, check it out: http://www.rense.com/general96/hanford.html" This website is not correct in the least.

For example: "At a roadside spot convenient for quick relief, a black work glove was lying on the gravel. It registered 0.28 microsieverts, meaning whoever urinated is a dead man walking. " 0.28 microsieverts is 0.028 mrem which is a number barely detectable(with very sensitive dose rate meters) above background levels. The federal limit for occupational whole body radiation exposure is 5000 mrem year or 18,000 imes the 0.28 uS. 5000 rem/ year has never been shown to effect any individual. The limit for extremity dose (like the hands) is 10 times higher or 5- rem/year. Dead man walking indeed.

The reality is that Fukishima was a serious reactor accident, but isn't hurting anybody in the US.

If you want to read some actual scientific information try nrc.gov or NEI.org. and search on Fukushima... tons of actual information.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Sorry to tell you this, but that doesn't change when you retire. LOL
    But then again, you could just go fishing EARLY.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm really enjoying what you guys are saying about there not being any harmful radiation levels in the fish or the water, NOW.
    This reactor is still melting down, still dumping tons of waste in the ocean.
    This mess is not getting better, it is getting worse.
    Maybe not in my life time will I see the effects here on the west coast.
    I'm just saying maybe it's time we as people on this planet stop making messes and clean up the ones we have made to the best of our ability.

13. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Brian Dunning at skeptoid.com has an excellent piece on various nuclear reactors, including Fukushima: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4397.

It's important to know the facts before we succumb to baseless hysteria.

14. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

Well...damn. I love bananas.

15. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Time, distance, shielding.. The three factors you need to actually worry about in regards to this stuff. We have the best of all three. Stop worrying already...

Jeff Sturm likes this.