Raft rod storage ideas

Derek Young

Emerging Rivers Guide Services
Wait, what? You're doing what on the river?

Chris, you Have seen the full-length grey PVC that I use inboard of my cataract tubes nestled in the triangle formed when the drop down rails touched tubes. They ride nicely in that frame triangle fucked back held in place by straps and the tube. They are not easy to get rods into were out of on the move. I have two tubes on each Side, allowing me to carry at least 4 rods top, but creatively I have had many more in there. For the passengers, I have short sections of PVC rod holders attached to the Leendarr railing, this works for my girls. Then the only one without a rod is the guy with yours in his hands. So I get mine when we stop. Let me know if you need any photos, but I'm sure you remember seeing mine. I can shoot some photos and send them your way if you'd like.

N-forker

I have had a 9' double rod tube made by a local commercial sewing company. The last 4' are left open to accommodate easy rod removal by the angler in the elevated fishing seats of my NRS Frame. The best part is it is easily removed, strapped to any boat, mine or a buddies as well it is a Cordura exterior (Green, Red, Grey, or Blue) and ultra suede interior. It looks sharp ( super important) and does not scratch your rods clear coat finish (even more important!) like just raw plastic or aluminum. There is a shop in West Glacier MT. that stocks them, and as well I think a local rep might be dragging a couple around the West... This is the best "Pro" looking solution I have found. Sorry for the poor pic, I'll try to rally up another soon.

Cheers!

K~
SDP & Rod Tube.jpg

mbowers

After I did all my painful bending with a heat gun (I couldn't get good bends without first filling the pipe with sand which was an extra time consuming step) a guy (who builds swimming pools for a living) pointed out flexible PVC to me. It's much more expensive than the straight lengths ($25 versus $5), but still not that expensive if it saves you an hour per rod holder. Looks like a swimming pool or spa supply place would be the place to start looking.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Flex-P...zmap=BX95150&gclid=CLPy04-z7LsCFQlgMgodVSYAGA

Josh

dead in the water
After I did all my painful bending with a heat gun (I couldn't get good bends without first filling the pipe with sand which was an extra time consuming step) a guy (who builds swimming pools for a living) pointed out flexible PVC to me. It's much more expensive than the straight lengths ($25 versus $5), but still not that expensive if it saves you an hour per rod holder. Looks like a swimming pool or spa supply place would be the place to start looking.
I wonder what kind of strength it has. A guy could accidentally step on PVC and it would likely be fine. Would this stuff be the same? Or would it be more like plastic tubing and crush?

I want to build the same rod holder as luke but looking at the pictures i am asking my self if there are any issues changing out rods while on the water. Luke is your front seat fisherman able to reach down and pull the rod out while moving? I was thinking about enlarging the cut to maybe 18inches to allow for access.

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
Actually, no. In order to remove a rod, you need to be out of the boat and pull straight back. This also prevents broken tips as well. I thought about this when designing the cut and decided I wanted the added protection as a lot of people use the tube as a "step" when entering/exiting the raft, so I was fearful of making the cut too large. That being said, I think you could get away with making it larger and still have your rods be safe, you just have to find the sweet spot. Let me know what you come up with!

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
I want to build the same rod holder as luke but looking at the pictures i am asking my self if there are any issues changing out rods while on the water. Luke is your front seat fisherman able to reach down and pull the rod out while moving? I was thinking about enlarging the cut to maybe 18inches to allow for access.
You might also consider a larger cutout and breaking your Spey rods in half. That's what I've done for the long rods just to keep the length of the storage tube shorter. This way the rods can be retrieved from inside the boat if need be. Nearly always, however, I'd be pulled up on a gravel bar in order to employ the Spey rods.

TonyZ

I took a 4" piece of septic drain pipe (the white stuff with the per drilled round holes) and cut 1/3 of it off on the table saw, then zip tied it to the frame. I made keepers with double sided Velcro.

Electrical conduit is designed to be heated and bent. Just use a simple gas torch to heat it, the only problem with this the conduit will turn a brown color but you can paint it after heating. It might work better for kind of project. It's a fast simple way to get the project done if it gets too hot and starts to catch on fire it will not affect the rigidity of the PVC it's designed for that kind of heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk