Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Let me preface my reply with the obvious facts, I like guns. I have a lot of guns. I reload for fun. I have more shit than I will ever use when it comes to guns.

But...

I never carry when I go fishing. First of all I fish lakes 99.9 percent of the time. The wildest beast I've encountered was a snake (non-venomous). I doubt a bear, wolf, cougar, or other predator will attack me where I fish. I don't leave my car where tweakers have been known to frequent. I try really hard to avoid trouble. IF someone wanted my stuff, take it, I have more. Leave me and my truck, I'll even give you my cash, not my cards. Problems solved. No need to carry.

I don't go to places I think I need to carry. But if I have to I carry...45cal, 230grains, spot frickin' on aim. No questions asked.

2. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

I hear you. I would say, worry about what's in their heads first, pockets second. You meet someone in the wild; they are armed or don't look right. What's the first thing you do? It's not draw a weapon, it's figure out their intentions. That's what makes this thread interesting.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

The thought never crossed my mind until I read it on this site.

Lugan and dryflylarry like this.
  4. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

I usually am always carrying. However, if I want to kill someone quick, I just have my wife nag them to death.

5. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Sorry, no story-telling. My life is just that: Mine. "Brandishing" could be as simple as telling/threatening someone that you have a gun. It can also be displaying a gun in-hand/threatening without legal/legitimate justification to do so. To further clarify, as per WA State law, the mere act of carrying a holstered handgun in open carry DOES NOT constitute brandishing. Gotta go . . . I have flies to tie. And yes, even tho I'm in my house & it's light outside, there will be a means to defend myself at hand, should that become a reality. I'm a survivor; 66-years on earth aren't enough for me. I wish you well.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Did you ever shoot at somebody. It's a weird feeling. When I was a lot younger I was told by a cop how to do just that. If you shoot somebody, shoot to kill. That way all bases are covered. I was lucky that I missed him. No more problems after that. It scared the shit out of myself.

I thought that I was protecting my ex-wife at the time. It didn't work as she went right back the SOB.

8. Jim Ficklin

Appears that you were doubly-lucky, Jim.

9. Jim Ficklin

Forgot one, Mr. Spot (and this is my #1):

1) I may again someday be a targeted victim/prey, but I won't be a defenseless targeted victim/prey, aka "Personal Protection." You apparently missed the key point.

My choice, my right.

Now, back to tying leeches . . .

triploidjunkie and G-spot4u like this.
  10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

It's none of my business what you do as long as you're within the law. I expect the same consideration.

Sahalee, enlightened, PT and 4 others like this.
  11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Not being one to get into these type discussions as a general rule, I say carry want you want... many of us do, it's our constitutional right.
    banderausa.gif

enlightened likes this.
  12. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

That's priceless. Thank you. I like this popping in with a quick thought between leeches. Personal protection... got it. I'm in favor.

13. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I have guns. I have never felt the need to carry a firearm while fly fishing, gear fishing, fishing from a boat on a lake or river or while bank fishing. I try to keep my pack lite and easy. I dont feel the need to pack a gun around while beating bush all day long. I am not worried about animal attacks or crazy people. I dont worry about much.
    I dont have a 'i need my gun to survive today' plan that some of you endure.
    Each his own.

14. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Jason, as to your question if its ever reasonable to carry while flyfishing, I believe yes. I fish on one river well known for an abundance of rattlesnake. I carry and load accordingly. The other local rivers I fish are known for an abundance of grizzly bear. Encounters in NW Montana are not that uncommon. I carry spray #1 and my gun loaded accordingly. I've seen a few of the fuzzy buddys while fishing but nothing close enough that necessitated defensive measures, yet, which is fine with me. Wise: To have and not need. Foolish: To need and not have. Not exactly rocket science. Insofar as evil human encounters "while flyfishing" I've not found that to be much of an issue in this area.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I don't know if it is "reasonable" or not but it is your right for sure. Personally I've always thought that if I was going to carry a gun I had better be willing to kill someone, and I am just not.

G-spot4u, Mark Moore and Keith Hixson like this.