Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I only carry when the voices start to hurt my head. It really doesn't have anything to do with fishing for me, it is all about the voices. Ever since they removed the tumor from my brain the voices have been louder. I may need to buy another gun and more bullets. Perhaps some silver ones.

John Hicks likes this.
  2. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Good Grief G-Spot,

It was a joke for Pete's sake. I figured you'd get it when I followed up with the border guards being upset comment. Don't be do darn thick headed.

And by the way, "Disruptor" fits pretty good.

G-spot4u likes this.
  3. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I open carry my bobbers. Scared away some swingers who were up to no good.

4. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Alright, my cover is born. I was hired to infiltrate this board on behalf of the tobacco industry and encourage everyone to pack Camels instead of guns. If anyone threatens you or steps into your fishing hole, just light one up and blow smoke in their face.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  5. Seapig

Seapig Member

I fish in the same waters as you. I see that many of you are armed while fishing. I hope none of you will ever need to pull or use your weapons against another person, especially me, my family or my friends. I'd prefer to be ignored than be shot, so do what you need to do.

I hope you never make it necessary for me to pull my weapon on you.

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

this explains a lot about your behavior, thanks for sharing!

G-spot4u likes this.
  7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Thank you, Seapig. Now, we get to the crux of the matter. What would I need to do in order to make it "necessary" for you to pull your weapon on me? I think that would be an excellent thread topic.

Would you pull a gun on me if I came and fished in a spot that did not suit you? Would you pull a gun on me if you had a dog offleash and I called you a fucking asshole? Would you pull a gun on my son because he came to your fishing hole and started throwing M80's into it?

This, gentlemen, is exactly the point of the debate. What exactly would someone need to do in order for you to pull the gun you brought fishing? Let's hear it from all the second amendment advocates here who, for whatever reasons of their own, think it's such a neat and terrific idea to go flyfishing in WA with a gun in their pocket.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

This has to be the dumbest post of the many dumb posts you have made so far.

Damn, those voices! Those fucking voices!

Josh Smestad and G-spot4u like this.
  9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

-Fishing beads on a spey rod
    -Drinking Heineken
    -Owning a Pontiac Aztek

Gary Knowels and G-spot4u like this.
  10. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Dude, you got my vote for best post with this one. Exactly. Wait, your'e kidding, right?

11. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

This is getting strange.

12. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

13. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Getting the thread a bit more on topic before G smack derailed it once again. One of the most under looked factors in carrying any firearm is proper and regular training. In a critical situation, you need that muscle memory to draw quickly and put shots on target. It's one thing to be able to point your weapon and repetitively make vital shots on a paper target at 10yds and its another to draw your weapon from your holster and consistently make accurate groupings.

In another thread a reference to an old comment was made about how a gun is worthless to have if someone is 21' or closer and coming at you. Usain Bolt can run at a top speed of 40' per second. This would mean that at this speed someone would have .5 seconds to recognize the situation, come to full draw and shoot the target. This could never occur but factor in a normal forest or river situation with rocks and other natural obstacles and now that time might become 3 seconds(not the case for four legged creatures). One of the tools I carry has rounds that shoot 4 9mm projectiles simultaneously. Only one of those bullets has to hit vitals within that timeframe, allowing me to not have to make a perfect shot to defend myself and buying me the time for a second follow up shot with 4 hits on target.

I regularly train with all of my guns and know that if a critical situation were to occur, muscle memory and experience will aid me in my protection and the protection of others.

triploidjunkie and G-spot4u like this.
  14. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Now I'll ask a legitimate & sincere, well-intentioned question. For those who DO carry . . . fishing, hunting, when/where ever . . . do you practice sufficiently? Can you draw & shoot with sufficient accuracy should you encounter a real self-defense scenario? "Owning" and "carrying" are not a valid insurance policy. If not, by all means practice. As previously stated, "having & not needing trumps needing and not having," BUT, if you have little proficiency, low/no confidence in your ability, and lack practiced reflex action, you have just cut your odds of survival dramatically. This also applies to bear spray, knives, hand-to-hand, and any other defense mechanism. Practice improves fly casting ability/presentation. The same principle also applies to self-defense. Fish are far less important than the well-being of your loved ones and yourself. Practice. I trained my Kids in self-defense handgun technique. Neither obtained a handgun (of their choice, not mine . . . that is a personal comfort/capability thing) until such time they were proficient. We still practice together at least once every couple of weeks. I feel that I'd be remiss had I not logged this post. Take care, be safe.

15. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Howling with laughter. So how about it, Obi? What would it take to get you to lift that gun up and point it at me? If you caught someone breaking into your rig, would you pull out your gun and point it at them? I mean, that seems a realistic type of scenario that you are preparing for.