Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

All that came to mind while reading this thread was a moment of remembrance I had. Tri and I were going to go fishing in a remote area we had previously enjoyed. But our second trip we headed on up to what felt like the top of the world:) tri went and put air in our pontoons as I kept warm by the fire. Out of no where came some younger men in their 20's I assumed. Like normal I graciously said hello. And with that they laid many guns on our pick nick table. Words that I normally would have scoffed and mocked and even would debate came rattling out of their mouths. I didn't notice but tri was graciously and nervously talking then packing our boats. Tri literally had to get us....and me out of there. We hauled ass out and I have no desire of returning. We were not carrying. We should have been on that trip. Either way we were fine:) but to fear a place so beautiful is irritating.

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Mr. Spot, You'd be better-off wondering what YOU would do, not what anyone else would do/has done. Protecting property is not a justifiable use of deadly force. The threat of assault or death is. Go read the codes and give-up your inane attempts to antagonize members of this forum. You have become a vexation to the spirit.

3. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

You once again insinuate that it is legal to brandish or kill someone over property with the example that you provided. I will lethally defend myself if I was physically attacked or if my family was attacked as well.

Please go back to your World of Warcraft game and your mommy probably has your dinner on the table.

4. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Thank you for sharing this story. I sympathize. What were these idiots doing/saying and what did they look like? It sounds to me like it's good you were not carrying and you handled it with your grace intact. Being armed would have done you no good in this situation unless you or Tri had been prepared to kill these boys. I agree it's irritating, but that would have really ruined your day and probably your life. I know you are a woman on this board and a badass fisherwoman - respect. Sorry this happened to you. It's not an argument for carrying - on the contrary.

5. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Thanks for sharing that .... I have heard similar stories from others.

Just reminded me of the time I was fishing for king salmon north of the Palmer/Wasilla area in Alaska .... another lifetime ago.
    The river was butthole to elbow .... the salmon were thick... and the booze and testosterone were both a flowin'
    At the time I was doing a work-study program with the US&FW Service out of Anchorage.
    When we hit the river I noticed more than a couple of people acknowledge me... look away from me.... and even sneer at me
    It wasn't until another fisherman approached me to tell me that he just saw a guy snag a salmon and wanted to know what I was going to do about
    did I figure what was playing out. I had my damn work hat on and sweatshirt ... and a lot of folks on that river thought I was law enforcement.
    I ditched the hat and moved downstream.
    It wasn't long until I saw guys fighting, toddlers crying, women yelling .... it was crazy effed up human behavior on a tremendous king salmon run.
    Looking back I am sure at least one of the guys that showed me this area was packing .... but at the time the thought never occurred to me.
    If I were ever going to go back to a fishery like that (which I doubt I would) .... I would be ccw .... no-one would know .... and I would as I always do try to avoid confrontation and de-escalate whatever may need to be de-escalated as far as my welfare and the welfare of my group is concerned.

Lastly ... WTF kinda username is G-spot4u anyways ?
    Shouldn't you be posting on an Asian Massage Parlor review forum or somewheres similar ?

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

The biggest reason I chose to carry at times was the simple fact of, if I ever happened to stumble upon bigfoot I am gonna put him down and hang him over my mantle, just above the chesterfield.. Ain't no ESA listing on a single remaining bigfoot either..

7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Never heard any complaints before.:)

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Well, you have just out dumbed your previous dumbest post. I didn't think it was possible.

9. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I worry about a zombie attack most of the time so while my Bushmaster BA50 can get heavy at times, it will bail me out of serious trouble. Besides if I get my fly stuck on a tree across the river, I can pop off a few rounds at the trunk, drop the tree and retrieve it.

Attached Files:

10. enlightened

In that incident carrying would have helped. And yes, i would have been ready use use it. With proper training my dad and others had me take, we should have been carrying. Don't misunderstand, without tri I don't know what would have happened. I believe for me there is a time and place. Hence the reason we weren't carrying. And we have never. Though it is nice to know that constitutionally I can. And at times may. But responsibly. Too many cougars, wolves and some crazy bears. But tri just hits the bear with his fly rod;)

Ed Call likes this.
  11. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

enlightened, I don't think too many people have been killed by wolves recently. Maybe two in the last 200 hundred years in all of north america. Whereas people and domestic dogs are responsible for far more attacks. I wouldn't worry too much about wolves, though. One less thing to worry about!

12. enlightened

Please come tell that to the packs that follow:) plus they were reintroduced in our area. Problem? They introduced the wrong wolf. These ones are bigger. And produce fast. So much so the local tribe now hunts them. That is another story. I won't even discuss. Just all be careful, watch your back. And for those of us who are lucky to experience all the positives fly fishing offers, tight lines:)

obiwankanobi likes this.
  13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I regularly fish with cougar,no problems unless you don't bring a lunch

Jason Hoffman and enlightened like this.
  14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

In the case Enlightened was referring, I needed a gun to protect the cougar;)

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Excellent answer..my cougar is the one packing,maybe that's why she catches the most fish!!!