Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rain Jackets

NFR 
2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  FAQ! 
#1 ·
This is my first winter in the PNW in 14 years. Last time around I was a poor kid, now I'm better off and can afford decent gear. So my question is if anyone has any good suggestions for rain jackets that are comfortable for every day use. I have a lightweight Columbia jacket but it has absolutely no lining and I'm not a fan of the feel of the plastic-like material on my skin. Would prefer something with a little lining, but not so much that it's bulky and too warm.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm REALLY enjoying being back in the PNW and am eating up every minute of it, even when not fishing.

A shot I took on a forest road while taking the family Christmas tree scouting:

See less See more
#3 ·
Second that motion on Cloudveil. Extremely light weight and comfortable!

#8 ·
Outdoor Emporium in Seattle, down by the ball parks or Sportco in Fife are also good places to look.

Some of the fly shops should be close to closing out some stuff also. I bought my Pacific Fly wading jacket, nylon shell with Gortex and a lining for about $50 off list price on a closeout at Puget Sound Fly Co. about 7 years ago and it has held up well and wear it a lot even when not fishing. I think I payed just over $100 for it.

In this country some sort of Gortex, or the equivalent is almost mandatory.

Dave

#9 ·
I own a couple Cloudveil jackets. Used to be a solid company but a lot has happened with them over the past couple years. They were bought out by a company on the east coast and I don't even know if they are currently making gear.

My go-to right now is the OR Foray Jacket. I primarily use it for back-country skiing as it is lightweight and extremely breathable. Not sure why you'd want a liner. I'd rather layer than be stuck with a liner.

Jackets, like any other piece of gear, is so subjective. Every post will be a different rec so I don't even know if these type threads are helpful.

#11 ·
My go-to right now is the OR Foray Jacket. I primarily use it for back-country skiing as it is lightweight and extremely breathable. Not sure why you'd want a liner. I'd rather layer than be stuck with a liner.
OR makes good product and is local. This Foray is like lighter version of Maximus which stands better to beating brush. Also agree that liners are not my liking.

#12 ·
One essential feature for me was for a water tight seal at the wrist, the ability to prevent water from running down my arm while casting. Sadly I've only found the more expensive jackets are able to do this. I've spent far too much figuring that out.

#18 ·
And proven Dry Cuffs™ keep water out of the sleeves when tailing, and releasing, fish.

And being a minimalist I'm embarrassed to say I own one. Wet arms from wrist to shoulder at 35 F forced my hand. Can't bring myself to utter the brand and out myself.

#14 ·
I picked up a Patagonia torrentshell on sale last year for <$100. It's not a fishing coat, just bare bones functional rainwear - something that comes along on family and work trips - light weight, breathable and very much waterproof. It's unlined but I always wear some type of long sleeve shirt under it. North face, Marmot, Mountain hardware all offer similar products.

#15 ·
No lining or minimal lining in a rain jacket is a good thing. I like my rain gear to fold or roll into a lightweight and low bulk piece for convenient packing. There are many to choose from, from high end prominent name brands to no name close out gortex rain coats for $65. All that I've tried work.

As mentioned, layers rather than bare skin is preferred in a rain jacket so that body moisture is wicked away. Even in fairly warm weather I'll wear a nylon or poly blend fishing shirt under my rain gear. That combination keeps me as comfortable as I can be considering that it's raining.

Sg

#22 · (Edited)
Brand doesn't matter as much as fabric. Most brands just buy fabric from Goretex or one of the other few similar companies and sew garments together. Basically, for serious all-day rain, you want a 5 layer goretex or equivalent. For less severe conditions, 3 layer. The downside of 5 layer is cost, bulky/stiff feel and less breathability, but it will keep you dry. The downside of 3 layer is that it will eventually get you wet if you stand in soaking rain a long time. This is why breathable waders are 5 layer.

I'm surprised @Swimmy didn't write this first. Thought he was the fashion expert. Then again, this is about jackets as equipment, not fashion, so he probably doesn't know jack.

Finally, I have a 5-layer goretex Cloudveil jacket from half a decade ago. It's great, but they are out of business. If you want drencher-proof jackets, just pick another 5-layer goretex or equivalent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.