Ran into a mountain lion today

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Out steelheading on the nf stilly and ran into a small (I think) mountain lion this morning. Was about the size of a large golden retriever but much meatier and had a huge tail. Scared the fuck out of me.

The river was pretty high due to the rain so I had to hike up in the woods to go upstream. When I dropped down to the river and broke thru the brush, just 8-10 yards upstream of me this dude was chilling on the gravel bar. I had seen about a dozen pink salmon carcasses/bones in the woods but I thought it was just a bear bringing them up as I have seen bear tracks on this run before. It was pretty clear I startled him too as he darted upriver and into the woods after making eye contact with me for a few seconds. I had never seen one before so I really don't know if it was a baby or was just a young adult (was afraid that the little shit might go run to momma).

Freaked me out regardless, and it seemed I scared him off too. After he turned around, I followed suit and ran away like a middle school girl back downstream. Pretty sure I peed a bit too. Don't think my little fillet knife would have done me much good. Got back to my car and drove a few miles downstream to fish someplace else. I was freezing cold before this and within a few minutes I was sweating. Pretty cool experience overall

Be careful out there....

Krusty

You need to edit this account into something exciting...how you faced down a snarling 300 pound mountain lion with your trusty fillet knife. You're a fisherman, and a little bit (or even a lot) of prevaricating should come naturally! Fish you caught in days of yore grow in memory, so why shouldn't this skittish wild feline morph into a most foul and dangerous beast.

Gotta change the story, or somebody, twenty years from now, will drag out this post and all the years of courageous story creep will be for naught.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
It takes a big man to admit that a little kitty encounter caused him to whiz his pants...I'd likely have crapped mine :D. Not too many folks ever see them up close or at all. We ran into one on the upper Ruby many years ago. It was on a elk carcass on the opposite side of the river as we rounded a corner...bolted into the brush, then turned and looked at us. It was a big animal and I'll never forget looking into its eyes as we retreated.

That's an awesome story - we've had one in our neighborhood that was just snoozing in a tree a few years ago. The Fish and Game department quarantined the area and said it would probably head back into the hills after a day or two. I never did get to see it, but quite a few folks had to go down and see it for themselves.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
That is some neat stuff. One of my bucket list things is to see a mountain lion - on my terms.... yeah, right. I'm sure they have seen me in my wanderings.

MB

I have seen three. One crossed the road in front of me a couple miles from my house earlier this year. Another was just across the fence in my back yard when I took the dogs out several years ago. And the first was when I was deer hunting... I had a rifle and even had a cougar tag. Just didn't react to the fact that it was a cat quickly enough, and was never able to get off a shot.
Its always super cool when you see such an amazing creature in the wild.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
That is some neat stuff. One of my bucket list things is to see a mountain lion - on my terms.... yeah, right. I'm sure they have seen me in my wanderings.

MB

That's what I kind of realized...if it wanted to kill me I wouldn't have seen it and I would just be dead in the woods next to some pinks.