rattlers... what to do?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mpirak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Paul Voelker

Paul Voelker Member

I'm with Gary. I carry a wading staff with me and will tap the ground in front of me as I walk to either let them know I'm coming or maybe they will strike the stick first. I'm worried that they don't always rattle when you stumble upon them.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

No, they don't. And they rattle less frequently than they used to. My brother is in grad school at the U of AZ and told me about a research seminar he attended. The short story is that enough of the rattlesnakes that actually rattle at people have been removed from the population that the non-rattlers are more common. I don't know the details about exactly where the research was conducted but just something to consider.

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Be glad of that...they grow big there. The Walmart in Helena use to have a picture of one that looked to be 7 ft long and weigh 60 lbs...HUGE!

5. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I grew up (ages 10-18) in Yakima and never saw one, fished all over, too. Since then I've had up close and personal and professional interactions with a number of species of rattlesnakes, moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, and, most recently, puff adders. Like others have said, they won't mess with you if you leave them ALONE. Carry a wading staff, push the snaket out of the way if there is no path around it, and don't put your hands in places you can't see clearly. Enjoy the snakes, they are actually a very beautiful, specialized animal, worthy of respect and admiration.

And they taste good, too.

By the way, you are in much greater danger from folks texting while driving their the cars passing you on the road than you will ever be with rattlesnakes.

6. Merle

Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

I always review this video the night before any trip to Rocky Ford:

Seems to work.

7. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Rattlers can only strike something at about half of their body length. For example, a 24" snake could only bite you at a distance of 12". I keep reminding myself of this as I walk through snake country and it helps keep me from getting overly concerned. Whenever I hear that buzz, I stop, locate the bastard, and go around.

8. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Two fly fishermen were trekkin through some high grass when they stopped for a break. As one was having a piddle behind a rock, a rattlesnake shot out from nowhere and promptly bit him right on the tip of his member.

Reeling from the shock and pain, he called his buddy. His buddy told him to just lie still and he would race back to the town they just passed, locate a doctor and find out what to do.

In a flash the buddy was off and very quickly he found a doctor. After hearing the predicament, the doctor instructed...

"You must work quickly, time is of the essence if your friend is to live. You must take a sharp knife, make a very small incision at the bite area and suck the poison out. Place your mouth over the wound and gently suck, then spit, suck, then spit. Do this for at least 15 minutes. Now hurry back."

The buddy rode back to his friend, who by this time was barely conscious. He asked weakly "Well, what did the doctor say?"

His buddy replied... "The doctor said you're going to die."

9. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Here's some alternatives.
    1. Find a stick and poke at it. It will hiss and such, and eventually slither off.
    2. Leave it alone and walk around it. It'll forget about you before you forget about it.
    3. Throw a lawyer on it. Leave before they figure out how to split the fee.
    4. Throw poop on it. If you're wondering where you'll find poop, it's right behind you.

My favorite: take a picture of it. You're out in the big wide world. You'll have a rememberance when you're stuck in the asphalt jungle later.

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Three of us were leaning against a tree discussing the mornings fishing on the Klickitat. A fourth guy walks up and says: Hey, did you guys know there is a rattler right over your heads? Sure as hell the snake was sleeping in the bough of the tree just above our heads and I mean about a foot away! Man, what a rush to get away from there. Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any up here in northern Pend Oreille County. But I was really puckered up on the San Poil last year. Carry a walking stick, make noise and pound the ground with it. They are hard as hell to see in the brush so watch your steps carefully.

Ive

11. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

I saw plenty of rattlesnakes hunting this last deer season (Tonasket area). Most were pretty good at letting you know they were there. I just walked around them and made darn sure I was scoping out the rocks and stuff I was scrambling around on. Or you can get yourself a Taurus Judge.

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

If you just want permanent peace of mind, wear these over your waders, or in hot weather, over a pair of nylon hiking pants (you can wet wade in them): http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...Rprd725400&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd725400;cat103951980

They're comfortable, flexible and light. I started using them in the desert due to snake paranoia. I now wear them mostly for spiny brush protection when wet wading. In any case, they serve a dual purpose quite nicely.

13. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

I never saw that picture, but several years ago my wife and I were driving on the paved road along the Missouri River at Wolf Creek headed for Holter Dam (which as you know isn't far from Helena) when I drove over the biggest rattler I'd ever seen. It stretched across almost the entire length of the road, and after I drove over it with all four tires of my pickup truck I looked in the rearview mirror and it just continued crawling on across the road, heading in the direction of the river.

14. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

May have to start something new called the Rocky Ford Rattlesnake dance. It goes..... you put your right foot in....

15. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    A rattlesnake would never mess with a lawyer; professional courtesy (and before all of you legal eagles out there get your panties in a knot, my brother, a retired attorney told me that one).