rattlers... what to do?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mpirak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Active Member

Yes, ticks and rattlers show up when it warms up-the ticks first and at times I've had quite a few on me-never had one engage though.
    Sometimes you feel what feels like a bead of sweat on your lower back.. a quick feel and you grasp a little critter.. and see it is a tick, and then you feel
    paranoid and itchy the rest of the day, especially behind the ears or groinal : )

2. faulke

faulke bozone transplant

People carry guns for rattlesnakes? Silly.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Practice situational awareness & walk around them. Give Mr Rattler the sunny side of rocks/bushes on cool mornings and the shady side on hot days. They'd rather avoid you. I always carry a gun, but not for Rattlesnakes . . . more in the event that I encounter a "different snake."

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Stuck in the mud in waders and a tube with "Mr. No Shoulders" sliding along...that is attention getting isn't it?

5. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

after years of never seeing one i went hunting for them one night north of rocky ford on a small paved road. just waited till it was late and drove up and down the road looking for one soaking up the day's heat from the pavement. found one sure enough. got out of the car and walked up to it with an umbrella in my hand. expected it to coil/rattle and generally get defensive as i walked up but nothing. so i poked at it with the umbrella a little. nothing. it didn't even coil up. i had to pin it's head with the umbrella to get it to react at all to my presence, and then it just rattled. when i released it, it just slithered off as fast as it could.

bottom line is what everyone always says unless they are looking for an excuse to shoot something: critters don't want trouble, leave them an escape route and they will take it.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I think fishermen angling at Rocky Ford should have started worrying about rattlesnakes starting two weeks ago. The snakes are very hard to see and may be out in force.

Hopefully this Public Service Announcement will lessen the amount of people fishing there. Only safe months are November and early December.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I also never carry a gun for snakes, but then again, .40S&W works just as well on rattlers as it does on gomers.

8. generic

generic Justified

Being someone who has breed snakes as a hobby, this is doubtful. There needs to be more sustainable/consistant weather above freezing to bring them out of hibernation.

Now, as soon as I say this, someone will certainly come on here and tell me that they have seen 10 snakes out and about. I don't know about the Ford, but I would "think" that it is still too cold for snakes yet.

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

This yearly thread is a bit early. I have seen a few on the dry side and they were right where they werte supposed to be - in the rocks and at the base of sage brush.. Stay off the rock falls and don't go crashing through the sage. Step on top and over rather than just stepping over. Keep you eyes on the ground. They really don't want to be around you either. Oh, yeah, besides ticks, there are scorpions and black widows on the dry side. In my opinion, just let them be unless they make it onto your door step.

MB

10. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Old Man there are plenty around the Big Hole drainage (especially when you get downstream from Wise River)....I run into them periodically and try to take a nice wiiiiiide detour around them. Last summer I saw the biggest rattler I have ever seen in MT over there. He looked really cranky and rattled us (figuratively/literally) as we were on our way to fish.

11. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

fish in winter
    join a church that takes up serpents
    they make a revolver which can be loaded with 410 shot gun shells or large magnum bullets
    take a buddy along that is a medic to suck the venom out

I understand they taste like chicken and are good grilled

12. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

If you want to do your fishing buddies a favor...do what my buddy did at the Deschutes a few years back.

Walking along a rocky/driftwood covered bank he hears a rattle just to the right of him (he was about 10ft in front of me). He proceeded to scream like a young girl at a Justin Bieber concert, took two long steps and jumped into the river up to his nipples.

It was a gift we'll be laughing about for years.

13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

And that certainly explains why I only fished the 'Trap in the winter when I lived back there.

Jim -- Avoid Maiden Rock Canyon on the lower Big Hole; you can meet a fair number of Rattlers there (as well as on the hogbacks north of Dillon).

14. John Vancil

John Vancil Member

Hi guys this is my first post but I have been lurcking for a while now. This happen last july at Rocky Ford I saw a four foot rattler swimming across and came out about five feet to my right so I quickly forgot about it. And went back to fishing. A few minutes later I hooked nice 22+ fish and started looking for a place to land it so I took a couple steps back stepping over the snake which coiled and started rattling needless to say I took a few more steps back and moved away. It didn't strike but I always wear leather hiking boots and jeans even in hot weather. John

15. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

I have seen a bunch of them in E. Washington and quite a few at Rocky Ford. Despite the fact they often cause an involuntary shart I think they are pretty cool. Just give them room, change your drawers and get back to fishing. They like the shady side of things on hot days which I disovered when peeing on the shady side of a rock. Old Man hasn't seen one since the snakes are afraid he might bite them :rofl: