rattlers... what to do?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mpirak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Conner, why did you kill them?

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I'm with Skeena88 on this one. What possible reason would you have to shoot and kill eight snakes? Makes absolutely zero sense to me. Just because you can, doesn't make it right.

MB

3. fifafu

fifafu Guest

The only place that has multiples of highly aggressive rattle snakes are in the remote river valleys. They really seem to be getting thick on the Klickitat and Grand Ronde rivers. I hate walking in on any of those rivers, you just know they are everywhere and are known to bite at wader boots without warning. I agree that killing them is the wrong. Staying away from the infested areas is probably the safest thing to do. I have never seen one myself but that's what I've heard.

I took a picture of a Rattler snake crap. As you can see by their diet the snakes are big over here.

View attachment 48902

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I think he only shot 8 snakes because he ran out of ammo. Don't be beating this horse (snake) just because someone chose to shoot them.

I shoot mice. Anyone want to speak up for them? Personally, I chase snakes away but if someone chooses to shoot them that's their choice.

5. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

This is a very interesting topic. First off, the snake don't want anything to do with you. and the snake will probably just leave that location once it figures out it's been discovered.

The rattle snake is a pit viper, and like most snakes its tongue tells it more then it's eyes, If the snake detects a small warm object, it goes into the strike and kill mode for something to eat, if the snake detects a large warm object, it then goes into the defense mode and will strike in self defense.

The rest is up to you, pick a fight with the snake, or go fishing?

Happy walking

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Not knowing the leagality of such actions as killing rattlesnakes, I contact the WDFW and it was confirmed that it is leagal but only if you have a hunting license. Otherwise you will be breaking the law if you harrass them without warrent.

Now starlings on the other hand are fair game to anyone who wants to take them out.

Rattlesnakes do taste a bit like a cross between a chicken and frog legs and fish.

Ira..

7. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Rattlers, taste like a cross between bald eagle and spotted owles...with a little Bambi thrown in.

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I thought someone might throw this joke in there someplace, heck I thought about it myself.

IRa..

9. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

I hate snakes more than anything. I killed the snakes because there is no way in hell they will bite you next time when they are dead the first time. I live in a place where rattlers are everywhere, and if you guys want to come over and do some nature watching, be my guest, but I will kill all that I see and can. Sorry if you don't agree, but when I stepped on the tail of a 5 1/2 foot rattler in the middle of nowhere, it made me want to keep the gun. I stepped off a rock and landed on its tail, where it did strike at me, but it was halfway through some rabbit brush, so when it struck, it was stopped short by the branch. We shot it, and a few minutes later, another gentleman came by and thanked us for killing the snake. I'm not the only one who kills them.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I hate snakes more than anything. I killed the snakes because there is no way in hell they will bite you next time when they are dead the first time.

There is merit in these words, But we can't kill everything that scares us or there would be no excitement left in our lives.

11. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Like I said, I hate them. I was almost bit. I kill them. Sorry if I pissed anyone off...

12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Connor:

I truly feel sorry for you with that attitude. I'm not "pissed off" just have no idea where you area coming from. You can't tell me that each of them cirtters was poised to strike. If you found (8), you be looking to do the mayhem.

From your description of the rabbit brush and rocks, you be traipsing through the wrong places in rattlesnake country. To each his own.

Sad commentary.

MB

13. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

All snakes were shot while walking down the creek. I meant in no way to chase and shoot them, but just because a couple weren't "poised to strike" doesn't mean they wouldn't get you on the way back. The only reason I would even attempt to walk through any of these places is for the lure of massive hopper eating trout that will blow your mind. I was not imposing that you were pissed, but just because what I do is horrible in the eyes of some, is completely normal where I come from. When I move to Seattle in June, I will no longer kill rattlers. Hell, I can jump off as many rocks in to bushes as I like... I might just do that. ;)

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

If Connor has a hunting liscense then he is ok to kill the snakes. I assume that he does. I won't kill ducks anymore or rabbits but I don't begrudge those who do. Although I don't believe anyone kills them because they hate them. I used to kill spiders, because I hated them but now I'm much better educated about their real danger, so now I leave them alone.

Ira

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

You guys need to get into Tenkara fishing were you will find peace & harmony with you inner Karma, Or maybe just drink more beer as your way to uptight , lighten up your killin my mojo !!!!!!