Rattlesnake and "Innocent Violators!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sportsman, May 12, 2010.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Last week I was up there and was talking with the 'Fish Cop', who is a great young man, about the new rules. I mentioned that the little flyers they have posted are inadequate, suggested that a large sign on the way down to the launch would be better. He agreed, but said the vandals would just knock it down anyway! He took off and I was getting ready to leave, when an older couple were getting ready to launch their boat. We were talking when I mentioned the new rules and they had no idea of the change to C&R. They were planning on getting a stringer for the smoker! The very same thing happened this morning as another couple and myself were waiting for the whitecaps to die down[shitty cold and howling!]. I suggested they head for Beaver, which they did. I've taken more than a lttle joy in turning in the powerbaiters and punks who filled their coolers over the years, but these 2 couples were close to getting a big ticket....they would need reading glasses to read those signs. BTW....I have fished the Snake for a lot of years and I think the new regs are wrong! I believe the rules should be the same as Lost Lake by Stampede Pass: ONE fish over 14 inches allowed. That lake has a good population of holdover Trips......it's not unusual to hook into 3+ lb. fish up there....you just won't get them by the launch! Just my uneducated opinion, but I think the same thing would work there.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Sportsman:

I would agree that WDFW should post very conspicuous signs in numerous places. Perhaps in bright orange like traffic warning signs. As for it "the new regs are wrong", how many quality lakes are in western WA, as a percentage of all lakes? I think you will find C & R are a very small percentage of the total fishable lakes. There are a multitude of lakes to get a stringer for the smoker.

And how heavily is Lost poached? They sit on the shore with buckets.

MB

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sportsman, good on you for educating those that are unfamiliar with the rules. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Knowing the rules is everyone's personal responsibility. Knowing the rules and intentionally not obeying them...well that is illegal too. I know there are threads about those upset with new rule changes, and I understand that. I have not lost any of my main fishing location due to this so it does not directly impact me. I hope there is a better solution with WDFW than a lot of folks doing what they have been accustomed to doing and getting tickets and big fines that will label them in the WDFW system as a poacher. Not trying to spin anyone up, just saying if it is written into the regs it is covered under the law and getting tickets about it likely is not the ideal way to get the changes that might be needed. WDWF should bear the responsibiilty for posting, in a very visible fashion, the changes so that minimal mistakes are made. Vandalism is a likely result, but avoiding posting because they are sure it will be vandalized is a pretty poor reason.

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Breaks my heart to think of the current state of this time honored tradition...lazy days with happy kids and loaded stringers. This new generation, fly fishers as they call themselves, just fell off the truck and they expect the known world to cater to them. Such small representation yet such a sense of entitlement. They must be stopped now or we'll lose the very heart and soul of our beloved sport. The statistics in King County alone are staggering... P&T Lakes: 93; C&R Lakes: 1 ...We cannot afford to lose another body of water to these town wreckers. Not one.

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Right on, Fenders!

After a few years, when WDFW sees that no one is fishing RSL any more, they will see the light and return it to a productive fishery, where folks can get their state-subsidized trout dinner.

Just look what happened to the Yakima. Was a time when you could drive down the Yakima canyon on just about any day (well, nice weekend days, anyways) and see someone fishing along that river. Chances are they had a stringer full of nice pan-sized fish, too. Then they went and closed it off to everyone but them elitist SOBs by makin' it C&R. Why now, you can't hardly find a place to cast without crossin' lines with somebody or getting run over every 5 minutes by another drift boat. And when you do hook a fish, half the time they're too dam big to fit in my frying pan, anyway!

D

6. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Quote: Such small representation yet such a sense of entitlement!!! Funny you should put it that way.....I seem to remember reading from the WDFW when they were deciding on the C&R proposal that during the process they asked for opinions from the public. I may be wrong, but I believe it was 24 YAYS and 0 NAYS. Certainly a landslide however small the participation may have been, not unlike much of politics in general. I know at least 6 of the these guys and believe their intentions were good. It makes no matter to me either way, I usually fish the lake 8-10 times a season and average around one fish taken home every other year. I am wondering just how cold the lake gets in January and how long I'd be willing to [or could] dangle my feet in the water!! BTW Scott... you are dead on about the lowlifes poaching Lost, WDFW could make a fortune policing that lake.

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Richard and Fenders
    That is the truth.
    What is happening here, another lake lost to catch and kill WTF.
    I just don't get it, all the water draining into the salt (Closed) planted lakes C&R.
    What's next??????
    Besides who wants to catch one big trout when you could catch 5 or 10 or even 20 10"ers

8. Mark Conner

Mark Conner A fish out of water

My wife and her friends are going to have a picnic at the park tomorrow so I thought I maight wet a fly. Hey, can a guy launch a small (14') drift boat or is the boat launch too rough and only good for car toppers?

9. Matt B

Matt B ...

You could probably launch a 40 foot yacht at that launch. Just watch out for the stumps as you motor out.
    "Never thought I'd be on a boat, it's a big wide watery road..."

10. Mark Conner

Mark Conner A fish out of water

Thanks, Matt for the info....

11. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    In the absence of dripping stringers of hatchery fish, the sarcasm is weeping from the keyboards...

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Shhhh, don't say anything about the C,C & H lakes in Skagit county

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Good thread Fred. While I applaud your idea about a large sign at RSL, given the dire conditions of our state's budget, perhaps it might make better sense to not draw too much attention to the rule changes with a large sign. Doing so would allow the Fish Cop to continue to write big-dollar tickets to those who don't bother to read the regs every year. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse, even if you are a myopic senior, like me! Plus the state could use the money!

Great post! However, the sad truth is that there were a lot of folks right here on WFF who were/are deeply opposed to designating RSL as C&R. While there were a variety of different reasons for their opposition, I found their total numbers to be quite shocking. As a long-time 'entitled' flyfisher, I naively assumed that most of us would be in favor of a C&R lake within a reasonable drive from town. Was I ever wrong.

K

14. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

15. tankiewiczj@kroybp.com

tankiewiczj@kroybp.com HPIC

Rattlesnake Lake - really - Let the put and keepers have it. I don't want to shake things up too much guys, but I remember a time when you could fish for whatever you wanted whenever you wanted to. There was no fear of a ticket or worrying about finding a copy of the regulations - I am aware it is a neccessary evil in todays world, but let's remember that there exists a group of people who just love to fish. They don't even get the concept of catch and release and when you explain it to them they look at you like you are insane! They don't fish often and may not even be aware you need a' license' to fish. I must admit that this type of enthusiam is more genuine than a bunch of us flyfishers in 2,000 dollar prams with 500 dollar rods attempting to catch and release 30 fish a day. I mean c'mon think about that for a minute. Furthermore, I think it is amazing that we even need a license to fish! We need to hang the permit from our rear view mirror or we will be sited for parking on public land that our tax dollars already fund! Then the dollars from our fishing licenses are put into the states 'General Fund' and used for whatever they want to use it for. I guess I am just sick and tired of government being involved in everything I do...can't wait until they tax me on my carbon footprint. Maybe they should require each flyfisherman to tally his daily total catch on a punchcard binder and base the license fee's on the number of fish caught and released. That seems fair to me - tax the guys who catch the most fish, afterall they are putting the most pressure on the resource right! By god I am call Tim Enman(or whatever his name is).

JT