Real scoop on skeena tribs?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Whitehorsebob, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Whitehorsebob

Whitehorsebob Member

ok so I was planning a trip to terrace this month but what few reports i have seen from fisherman have been dismal while reports from guides , fly shops and lodges make the fishing sound pretty good. I dont need great fishing but its a long drive if The fishing is dead slow. Any imput? Reports from the last week or two? Thanks

2. b_illymac

b_illymac Member Active

I know you wont catch one with your fly out of water :p:D

MileHighFlyGuy likes this.
  3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

4/6 last weekend personally. Both my friend and his wife, who had never Spey cast or steelhead fished hooked up with their awesome 30’ casts. 8 fish hooked in 2.5 days of fishing isn’t bad (9 if you count the coho I caught).

Seems pretty good to me..

Caught a radio tracked fish,and have a bio calling me every day to let me know it’s location.

Next year he’s riding with me to get fish tagged.

1939D14C-D4D0-4CAA-92BC-0C9165F19AA9.jpeg

4. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Numbers are down but so are the number of fishermen I’d presume. More important is hitting the river when it’s in shape. Rivers were blown for almost two weeks end of September to early October. Jeremy has the advantage of being relatively close and can fish optimum conditions. Lots of guys got totally blown out. I cancelled my trip for that time frame, if I’d gone I may have had 3-4 days to fish because of conditions.
    As to the reports from guides and lodges, have you ever heard one say “ fishing is slow, don’t bother”?
    I should have gone....

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Friends of mine that were up there in September reported it as the worst season ever, and one of them has fished there for 40 years. One who has fished it for 30 years fished 16 days without catching a single steelhead.

Jeremy's report is encouraging, but shouldn't be the metric to go by unless you have the ability to time your trip with good water conditions - which there's been a lot of high turbid water this year - and you want to fish deep. After the first week of October water temperatures typically cool off rapidly, and the window for floating line and dry fly fishing pretty much disappears. There are always a lot more fish later in the season, but it's deep sunk fly style.

I'm glad Jeremy's catching some because that is the only good report I've seen this season.

Sg

6. Jeremy Floyd

My six friends have been fishing for 15 days, as of today. They finish up mid week. These are old crusty guys who fish every year (50-70).

They are normally the sink tip kind of guys, other than one of them. This year found them fishing floaters, and the spade pattern, because the one buddy was doing so good with it.

They are consistently catching fish, but it slowed a bit Friday and yesterday. Best day for them was 10 fish, 5 by one guy. They have blanked three of 15 days. Everyone has caught fish, and everyone has caught more than one in a day.

The fish, by all accounts coming from locals, are very late this year. A week ago there were lots of folks with reports of chrome coho being caught in Terrace-Kitwanga area. That’s a month late.

7. Jeremy Floyd

Side note,

The one fish I caught with a radio transmitter on it was caught two days prior on a skater. Here is a pic of the angler and fish.

Kind of neat to see the history of a fish.

Since I caught it, it’s been tracked every day. The fish has moved around a bit, but it hasn’t moved more than 100 meters up or down from the rock I swung over to catch it.

74D57CFB-3C32-4760-BE56-F6D93E938CDF.jpeg

8. Jeremy Floyd

Here it is in action..

This was the first chance for my buddy and his wife to see a Steelhead in their life.

typhoon, DimeBrite and jake-e-boy like this.
  9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Got back a week ago today. Most people I talked to were working hard to get a few fish. The guides and shops were telling me the same thing. I had great water conditions and four days of good steelheading fishing, one day of sight seeing with the wife, and one good day of trout fishing. It was a great trip. Though there were quite a few anglers about, I had the privilege of fishing water that the general public didn't access so that was one of the big reasons why I did more catching than most folks did up there. I caught (in order of most abundance) steelhead, rainbows, char, coho, sockeye, and cutthroat.

I thought about contacting Jeremy when passing through his town but it was like 10:30 PM and we just snagged a room at the Super 8.

It is interesting to speculate on fish conditions and whether to make the trip or not. If I had a crystal ball and knew the rivers would be in the whole time I was there, I would go. If you can step away from river fishing and enjoy lake/trout fishing and have some productive spots dialed in, I would say go. If your one of those guys that can sit around camp and BS for days with friends if the river goes out, then go. However, if your one of those guys that only steelhead fishes in rivers and are going by yourself with the possibility of river blowing out, I'd probably skip it this year with the numbers that are around.

10. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

I was up in September and got to witness a biblical downpour. I spent the downtime discovering access and exploring parts of the drainage I hadn't seen before. Very enlightening! And I consider myself well armed for the future. The ideal situation is to allow lots of time, 2-3 weeks and plan on missing some time. And as mentioned above, if you come ready for some other types of fishing you'll seldom miss a day.

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Active Member

Love that run