recommendations for portable fish finder for kayak?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Graham Young, Jun 11, 2008.

1. polepole

polepole New Member

[​IMG]

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks Polepole for posting the photo. Roy, looks like you'll have to make your own. Its easy. I just excavated a large enough chunk of closed cell foam from one of the junk piles in my garage (I swear I can find practically anything for almost any project there if I dig through it all in a creative frame of mind), and made two of these pucks.

I may install one under the seat on my mini-drifter as well as just behind the seat on my Ultimate 12. There's just enough space to squeeze it in between the back of the seat tray and the front edge of my fishing pack (or "milk crate," depending on fishing style that day).

This way I will be eliminating the suction cup mount (detaches from transponder), which protrudes from the hull and can potentially foul your line while playing a fish, might get mashed into something, and causes extra drag.

Polepole, I notice from your photo that it looks OK to mount this puck on an un-level surface (the one in the photo appears to be over the vee along the hulls centerline). I have positioned mine on a flat surface.

On a thread on another site, someone else had used vaseline petrol jelly to fill in the hole in the puck before pushing the transponder down into it. Is this any better than just using water? (Assuming the puck installation is watertight against the hull, so the water won't leak out).

3. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    Jim,The vaseline does work BUT it can be a mess,I would stick with a bit of water and just fill it up before you put-in.Also it makes me feel better to know someone else has one of those piles of "projects",I blame it on being born and raised on a farm.....Good Luck,Alan

4. polepole

polepole New Member

As long as the space is filled with something like water or jelly, it will work just find. The concept is to remove and had discontinuities in the densities (or air pockets) that the FF shoots through, because that's exactly what it is looking for when it is working.

Jelly is too messy. Water works just fine ... so I hear. I still use the "goop the 'ducer down" method. Set it and forget it.

-Allen

5. Graham Young

Graham Young Member

Jim, Allen, Alan: thanks for all the information - no excuse now not to get a FF rigged up and get started into some fly fishing paddling.
    Graham

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I installed the foam transducer pucks in my Don Hill mini-drifter and in my Native 12. Tested the Native 12 and it works great with just water, except the water temp is now just the temp in the bottom of the puck. A balmy 59 F. I don't need temp readings anyway, as anywhere in the 45 F to 70 F range, I can tell within a couple of degrees what the temp is just by sticking my hand in the water. After 35 years of surfing, I sort of "became the thermometer."

7. reamse

reamse New Member

I got a portable for my raft, it was only about 60 bucks, it works for knowing the depth and if the fish are suspended and what the substrate is (kind of) after that you get what you pay for. The batteries are 4 triple AA's I think and they've lasted me all the way since ice season.

It says it has shoot through technology but the ice in Wisconsin last season was to cloudy or jaged didn't work worth a lick.

For the price i'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Always shop around to lesser known internet sites for anything you buy, make sure the site is legit and secure though. Every larger store will increase the price at least 30%.

Hope this helps, some links below.

Ellsworth

http://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-Hawkeye-Portable-Fish-Finder/dp/B000E0E2WI

http://www.bestfishfinder.com/fish-finder-norcross-portable-hawkeye.html

8. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

For what it's worth, I've attached a pic of my set-up on my OutBack. I chose the Fishing Buddy so I can move it to my pontoon boat w/no problems... Hope this helps.