Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Red Wing Winter Steelhead Fly

Pattern 
3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave McNeese 
#1 ·
This is one of my favorite winter steelhead flies. I call it a follow-up pattern, usually tied in size 8 or 10. I fish a pool first, say with a 1/0 Brads Brat. If I am confident there's a steelie in there, I often switch patterns to this one. Reducing like that often works well for me.
I also tie this one with black body feathers as an alternate.

McNeese

#3 ·
I have seen this pattern in a somewhat reduced variation. Double hook, same body with a wing made of just a good sized clump of topping, smaller JC nails. I think Shewey tied it.
Even the reduced pattern is highly visible from a distance in the water. There is no doubt they (the fish), can see this little gem coming from a ways off.
If I remember correctly you have yet another version in Trey Combs book. It is at the bottom of a large pile right now and I am not up to digging it out just now.
This one has been on my list of 'must ties' for years now.

So many flies, so little time.

TC

#5 ·
This past weekend I saw yet another and slightly different version of the Redwing. I was able to lift its' skirts and get a close look at its' interior. It was quite small, maybe 8 or 10 double. Due to its' size, shape and color this version looked somewhat egg-like. It was tied by Mr McN.

TC

#6 ·
Beautiful tie. Do you have any sort of recipe/instrux? PM me if you don't mind and thx for posting this...

#7 ·
Nope, no bead head. It's just a round head with lacquer on it.

recipe- (varies from stream to stream)
tag. 4 turns fine oval silver
tail. 2 G.P., indian crow very sm.
rear 1/2 fl. orange floss
front 1/2 red wing shoulder feathers, or dyed hen hot or.
wing. 2 j.c. eyes to i.c., small amount of tippet with 3 to 6 crests
j.c.
the other pattern has just crests for the wing.
another fly is 1/2 red wing shol. 1/2 black red wing neck feathers,same wings. tied on wilson doubles any size. As a follow up fly I fish size 8 or 10. When I fish a fast run I'll use a 2. I should use this fly more often because it does produce so well, especially in heavily fished waters.

God Bless,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.