Rediculous Guide Prices

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thomas Williams, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Joe Pombrio

Joe Pombrio Member

Thomas, I'm surprised you question the price of guides, yet you have an NRX. Its the same idea.. you get what you pay for. You wanted the best rod.. Its the same with guides. You get what you pay for. I guarantee thats how it is with guides. You've tried to push your buddy on other posts, and thats great. But the real guides out there arent making a ton of money. In fact, they're doing their best to help folks like you catch fish when you go somewhere unknown.

2. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

Guides are expensive, at least for me but $200 a day seems a bit low for a primary income. Seems like insurance, gas and taxes would cut into the profit margin quick. Unless $200 a day is the guy flying under the radar sort of speak and $450 a day pays decent wage, plus all the legit operating costs. Either way it's not much of an annual income.

Joe Pombrio likes this.
  3. Cruncher

Cruncher -

Also have to factor in if the guides are working for an outfitter. They take a piece of the action as well.

Unfortunately, my first, last and only guide experience with an O**** outfitter in Michigan was when I was starting to learn to fly fish for steelhead some 20 years ago and it was just awful. The guide clearly didn't want to be there and all I learned was how to chuck & duck thru a redd for 8 hours. It was $300 for 2 people for a day. Remember, that was 20 years ago. BTW- shore lunch was some bogus sandwich in a baggie, a bag of chips and a snickers.

I didn't mind paying that fee because of the outfitters "alleged" reputation plus thought it would be an worthwhile investment in some knowledge.

Well, I did learn that I didn't want to C&D and I never gave any more business to that outfitter again.

4. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

What equpiment I choose to spend the money I earn on hardly relates to a guides wages. Thats a pretty far reach.

5. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I will say - I love going on a guided trip. The learning, the confidence, it is awesome. Wish I had more $$$ to throw at it!!

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

With your bad knees and all, I imagine that limits how much walking the river you get. Most of the time, on guided trips, it is about half from the boat and half walking the river (usually in a section that is not accessible without a boat). I had an awesome guided trip on Silver Creek once that was all walk and stalk. When I fished New Zealand it was all walking and sight fishing which is so much fun. You do need to be able to walk at least 6 miles per day to do that though! Rick

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Before my knees went to hell, That was the way I fished and enjoyed it very much. While I lived and fished in Washington, I fished many river's and creeks from one end to the other. It all involved walking.

Here in Montana I don't have to do muck walking to find fish. Just about any place where the skinny water is close to the road there are fish there. I don't stray to far from my truck anymore. Besides my being an old man also has something to do with that.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I know plenty of $400+ guides who are booked for nearly, if not all, of their fishable days during the seasons they guide. The prices don't seem so ridiculous if you consider that. Supply and demand.

I also don't know a single guide who lives very lavishly. They really don't make much money.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I surrender! Guides lay down your arms. Broke sympathizers retreat.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Does anybody know of anybody involved in outdoor activities, as a guide or a outfitter ever make a lot of money. Most do it because they like doing it. If one wants to make money they need to get a job inside or build houses.

When I worked for a living. I worked at the lazy "B". I had to work my ass off to make a good living. Most I ever made in a years time was about $70,000 a year. That included plenty of overtime.

Guide's that I see out on the rivers seem to like what they do. Most have smiles on their faces. I only smiled at work on pay day.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  11. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

At least guides now qualify for cheap and affordable healthcare so thats good.

12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    Too true. The general rule is that, if you want to have $1 million after 10 years of working as a guide/outdoor writer/ski instructor/etc., you need to start with $2 million!!

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Not much to add here but I'll say that when I book a guided trip, I go. That sounds silly maybe but when I plan a "regular" F'ing trip, all too often something comes along to bump it off the calendar. My one and only character flaw.

I'll add that I don't go on many guided trips anymore because (A) I think I've plateaued the learning curve somewhat and (B) I have all the gear I need including assorted craft. Guide prices are significant. Over priced? Some maybe but generally no, not IMO. The good guys are well worth it.
    My sage advise is: If you're fishing a new area, say Eastern BC for instance, book a guide for the first day or two. Spending cash with them teaches you local information and they'll likely share some intel for your extended solo adventures.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you can't afford a guide why bitch about it. And if you can go for it.

15. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I don't think you're suppose to shoot them after they surrender. I could be wrong though.

Bill Aubrey, Ed Call and Steve Call like this.