Redington SFS 9ft 8wt. Is this a good rod or a bad rod??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pwoens, Sep 24, 2002.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    I just blindly bought a Redington SFS 9ft 8wt for steelhead off of ebay for $100.00 brand new. Does anyone have any experience with this rod or redington rods in general? I tested a few Redington rods at a local shop and was fairly impressed with them. However the particular one that I bought is no longer in production so I could not test it. But the price was right and I couldnt pass it up :DUNNO . I have not received it yet but was a bit concerned that I might not like it since I was not able to test it out in person?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

~Patrick

2. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

Redington SFS 9ft 8wt. Is this a good rod or a bad rod?

Not really familar with that rod model,but a 8wt is pretty stiff and should catch just about anything you find around here.
    Good luck with it, good price though. I use a 5 wt up to 7 wt. I find that they are about the best for the rivers and the size of fish we get.

3. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:

I have a Orvis Trident 5 wt that is my primary rod but I figured it was a bit undersized for the steelhead that I am seeking and not finding :MAD . Actually since I am no good at catching those stinking steelhead a 5wt would probably work just fine. LOL. Thanks for your input on my question.

~Patrick

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

You sure seem to love Ebay and Redington stuff. I saw your post last week about RS2 reels and got interested. I bought a RS2 7/8 off ebay (my first time) and got it in the mail yesterday. I'm really impressed with it, for the price (50 bucks), wow. Anyway, Just wanted to say thanks, I never would have known about the whole Redington thing if you hadn't posted about it. Thanks alot Pwoens! :THUMBSUP YT

5. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:

No problem bud. If you are patient, ebay is the way to go as you can find some fairly good deals quite often. Hope you enjoy the reel. I am going to test mine out this weekend. Im not sure on the whole redington thing but they seem to be a good quality product at a reasonable rate?? I may find otherwise as time goes on, but for now I got a steelhead setup that should work fairly solid :DUNNO . Take
    care and talk soon.

~Patrick