Redington spey rods on sale, any good?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by ducksoup, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Verne

Verne Member

A few facts, as I see them.
    Price doesn't necessarily relate with quality or usefulness. I have learned not to discount any fly rod on price alone.
    I emailed River Run with a question about the availablily of a rod I wanted, but they never replied.
    I have visited most of the fly shops in this area, so I am somewhat familiar with what they have.
    You cannot really tell if a spey rod is what you want without using it on the river with several lines.
    I have been in Gart and they are at least friendly.
    I would rather go fishing than attend sportsmen shows, spey claves or etc.

2. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Verne,

River Run is a one man shop. Aaron has a full time job besides being the best
    shop for two-handers around. Every weekend he brings at least 20 different
    rods down to the river and twice that number in reels and lines.
    He offers a service you will not find anywhere! Maybe he didn't get your email.
    I wouldn't give up on him that easy. If you need spey gear or just want to shoot
    the shit there is no finer place to do it.

3. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

I am a big fan of Aaron, I live in BC, but I am giving serious consideration to nipping down to his Saturday Clave to shop for a new 16' spey rod. That said however, the Reddington is still a good buy for someone on a budget. The 13' may not cast a sinking head without a lot of effort, but neither will a Sage traditional or several other traditional action rods at substantially more money. It doesn't mean they are bad rods--like the Reddington, they are simply not designed for the task.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you want first rate instruction,just go down to the river on Saturday morning. You will have some of the finest spey casters around this area teaching you and all for free. About the only thing wrong with Aaron's shop is that he is only open two days a week and a little while after his spey classes on saturday.

I tried to do it but I prefer the single hander. I just feel better that way. Some can do it and I can't. But I'm not against it.

Jim

5. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Verne:

You asked for advice on the Redington brand, you got some and apparently didn't like the responses. Hint: Don't ask for advice you don't want.

You are right, price doesn't guarantee quality at some level. When comparing a Redington to a Sage or GLoomis, IT DOES!

When comparing an Orvis Battenkill to a Ross Evolution, IT DOES!

You sound pretty closed-minded, so good luck with the Redington. I'd suggest a Spey Class to hone your casting, but you'd rather be fishing, right?

As for the shops, they probably don't want your business. I am pretty sure you're the guy who shows up with a internet purchased rod, reel, and line; buys some backing and then asks for the shop to set the whole system up for you.

Another equation I've learned: Low margin, price shopping customers are always the biggest pain in the old ass. Short on profit, high interaction costs, and ALWAYS full of complaints! Stay on the internet, it sounds like a match made in heaven......

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

7. Verne

Verne Member

Hey
    Can you read?
    I didn't ask for advice on Redington rods, I do have two including the new RS3 and I bought them at a local fly shop.
    I have some pretty nice spey rods.
    I do not need clerks showing me how to rig my gear, I was doing that before most of you were born.
    I do not owe the local fly shops anything and intend to keep it that way.
    Spey rods only cast a line and fly the same as one-handed rods.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

"Hey
    Can you read? "

Yes, Verne, I can read. I can read well enough to know that you are my new hero. :(

"I do not need clerks showing me how to rig my gear, I was doing that before most of you were born."

One more internet fishing expert.

Please excuse my negativity, Dave :beathead:

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Guys, you need to lighten up a bit here. Verne never asked a question, he only made comments. So he wasn't asking what kind of rods reddingtons were. He was commenting on the ones he owns (I went back and reread the post). From what he has written, he's older, just not sure on the age. He may have a lot of knowledge there to give. It's not fair to label him off a couple posts that he's an "internet know it all". He may just be new to the internet. Case in point, I knew alot of guys who used to bash a poster on a gear board. Said he didn't know what he was doing. Then after a couple years he revealed his true identity. He was Dave Vedder (well known gear fisherman, especially fishing floats). Funny how people went from panning him to wanting to be his friend. Also, they started actually LISTENING to his advise. So don't pan Verne because he's new and you don't know him yet. Give him a chance. Chances are he's speaking from the heart, and you just don't realize it.

Myself, I've rarely ever frequented fly shops. All I ever bought was second hand or mail order. Have been doing that for years. They never really got my business in first place, and they're still not getting it except for emergency orders. I don't test a flyrod, then go and buy it off the net either. I normally test the rods that I want to buy usually from the person I'm buying them from. Luckily, it completes a cycle, I buy up someone elses used rod and alot of times they are going to a shop buying another one. I know what reels work for me, and that's what I buy. In fact I think one of the only times I myself haven't put on backing/flyline was when I bought a speyline on sale from the Madflyfisher. Think it was Anil who put it on in fact. I would go in there for my emergency stashes back then. But I've been putting on my own backing and my own flyline since 1980. So I myself can say I've been putting them on alot longer then alot of people on here.

So please, don't jump to conclusions. I know I've done my share in the past, and have learned to just relax about it (unless someone is trying to ruffle my feathers on purpose lol). Not everyone here is dependant on flyshops, nor is someone who's new to the board a "big talker". They're just not known by you. The person you pan today could be a person you WISH you were fishing with tomorrow. Alot of burned bridges can't be rebuilt.

Ok, my words of somewhat wisdom are done. So please, no more bashing. :beer2:

10. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Yikes!

I go to the Spey Clave in carnation and those guys are great. Mike Kinney helped with some issued I had with my 7136 and tips. I will deffinately buy some stuff from Aaron.

That being said...I bought a $180 spey rod from cabelas, pieced together the rest for a summer and fall. Caught some steelhead, fell in love with spey casting (desipte the lower hook rate) and rarely touch a one hander as a result. I sold that set up to a buddy who was curious about the sport and heavily upgraded at the local flyshop.

GIVE VERNE A BREAK. Spending big money on something your not sure about is stupid! I guarantee Verne will upgrade to a "ferrari" when he moves to the next level. But to spend $1000 or more when you aren't sure about swinging flies can be a stretch for some.

I'm pretty sure Verne didn't ask the question, just had some input on a rod he owns and is happy with.

Snotty flyfisherman just perpetuate the stereotype, get your nose out of the air.

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

To go spend something around 1 large somewhere out of some mythical loyalty is insane when the same thing can be purchased elsewhere for less money.

If you feel it is worth it fine, but simply to lay down the bucks on some folklore mythical story such as " they paved the way for us in years past " is just as or even more crazy.

I could be just as bad a spey caster right now with a 700 buck Sagoomis as my used cheap St.Croix I purchased.Don't believe it would matter.

12. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Ducksoup,

The Redington rods are not bad rods at all.
    You might want to look for a 14' 9 weight. A 14' rod will be easier to learn with.
    Most of the rods out there now are decent rods. I wish there were rods that price when I started!

13. willieboat

willieboat Member

Steelheader69, (Jerry D)
    Once they toss both Christine and Dino, you should get the job. You are a constant voice of balance!

Thanks!
    :beer2:
    Don

14. Verne

Verne Member

Thanks Jerry and guys. As an explanation,
    I went to the shop to buy a high end spey rod as an upgrade and tried a bunch. I didn't consider the Redingtons because I thought it was too cheap, the owner put a 14' Redfly together and had me try it, I liked it a lot and ended up buying it. I have used it for about 9 months now and still like it a lot. My more expensive rods stay home and I bought another Redington. I claim no expertise at speycasting, but it does what I ask and feels very comfortable. Sure I would like a prestigous custom rod if I get good enough to justify it and I would probably go to Carnation if it was closer.
    Sorry for the hasty words you guys.