Redington Wader Review

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by XP, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Every single pair of Redingtons I've owned has leaked. Three leaked right out of the box, several leaked within a few months, had two pair completely blow out. I haven't really cared because I live thirty minutes from Sage/Redington and I would always just walk them in for a new pair. No questions asked. To be perfectly honest I'm probably a big part of them deciding to change their policy. I readily admit I've abused that system... Though I've never felt bad about it because they always seemed to fail so quickly.

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere in the future.

I have some gear fishing buddies who use Dryft waders and have nothing but great things to say. These are guys that fish a ton and definitely put miles on.

2. jasmillo

jasmillo Active Member

Hope they don’t change the rod policy as well. I have started buying Sage/Reddington rods for the same reason; I live less than a 5 minute drive away. My One has been in twice since August.

Related to that, I am still trying to determine if they replaced or repaired my rod the last time I brought it in. I broke the 3rd section but when I got the rod back, the cork was like new (see below). It had 7 months of very heavy use on it by that point. Can they clean cork? If they replaced I assume they would have told me when I picked it ups

FDD45AA2-7BE3-492B-B55E-F16590150758.jpeg

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

If you're referring to a Redington rod theh replace it every time. They don't repair the over seas rods as I understand it.

4. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Sad to hear. Sounds like when my Redington HDZ's inevitably fail again and they turn down my warranty claim I'll move on to a new brand. When it happens, it will be the 6th pair to fail on me. I think they make them for dudes sitting in a drift boat watching plug rods twice a year. Yes I put a lot of miles on mine and hike a ton, but the issues with mine have always been with the seams failing (as in completely splitting open, not just pin hole leaks). Literally first day out with one of the pairs a 4" section of seam just split open, seemed like it was never even sealed to begin with.

I wish simms zips weren't $800.

I've had good luck with a pair of orvis waders in the past...ironic too because Redington pays Orvis for the 'sonic seam' tech.

XP likes this.
  5. Shad

Shad Active Member

This should have been the title of this thread, IMO. The price point is the only reason I don't buy Simms' best waders. I'm pretty sure they could knock a bunch off that price and make plenty of profit, but....

6. Matt B

Matt B ...

Yeah, right? I like to have good stuff, but dang, that’s awfully close to a grand for apparel that inevitably wears out within 1-5 years (maybe a little longer if you’re lucky).

Nick Clayton likes this.
  7. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

I did the Redington warranty thing for several years. Pair after pair thinking I was saving money and bragging about the warranty, until I spent too many days soaking wet in February, and stressing about how much time I had to get a new pair shipped to me before a trip. I know guys get miles out of them, but if you actually hike the seams can't handle it and blow out. I also went through 2 straight zip pairs due to failure. Inseam, zipper, boot seam= 5 warranty swaps in 4 years of weekend warrior wear. Now 1 year warranty? Glad they did it actually, it made me move on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

XP likes this.
  8. jasmillo

jasmillo Active Member

Nah, it is a Sage One.

9. XP

XP Active Member

The not-so-good reviews are starting to come in. If these reviews make one more person choose a better pair of waders I'd be happy.

Especially now that Redington won't be honoring the warranty over 1 year even if it's clearly a manufacturer defect.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Don't you intend to mean, ". . . one - more - person . . ." rather than one less?

XP likes this.
  11. XP

XP Active Member

Thanks!

b_illymac likes this.
  12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks for posting that comparison. Good info. Like that out of the top two the Patagonia have a thicker foot. I wouldn't mind warmer feet. I had always planned to shop around when I eventually need new waders, but it's been a few years. I have at least 100 days on my current pair with no leaks. I do a fair bit of walking in them but light on the bushwhacking. The knees are a little haggard looking after a lot of kneeling in sand, rocks, and oysters but no leaks.

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I have had a pair of Redington Palix for 3 yrs with no leaks, I do a lot of bush whacking so I'm kind of hard on waders.

14. XP

XP Active Member

Bump

Just used my new pair of Simms G3 waders. I've got to say, these things are head and shoulders above Redington. No more entry level waders from Redington ever again.

Simms deals are awesome right now. Check ebay for close outs.

dustinchromers and Fishnow like this.
  15. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

I hear ya. I gave them a try myself a few years back. I bought them after my friend had great success with one of the very first pairs they produced. Those were great and he and I hiked a ton in briar infested trout streams. So then I bought a pair years later. Total garbage. They leaked out if the box, pocket fell off and little help from warrantee. I've been with Simms before then and have been ever since. Expensive but the best deal I can find.

XP likes this.