Reel balance

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman44, May 16, 2014.

1. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Yea I've read most of what's out there. Spoke with Steve Godshall as well. Before talking to him I was set on the 6126 but now I'm onto the 7126. He flexed them and ran his algorithm against the tcx 7126. The method is much more true to the weights than the tcx's. He had the 6126 dialed in at 392 Scandinavian 432 skagit to put it in perspective...with the 7126 roughly +60 to those windows

2. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

My guess is any reel between say 7-11 oz out of the box will be fine on that rod.

As already mentioned, swinging provides a different balance than just holding in hand.

I recently bought a new spey rod and threw on a reel I thought would work. Balancing on a finger in the house the reel was way too heavy and the tip pointing towards the ceiling. I thought I needed a lighter reel.

Wanting to cast the new rod, I went fishing with the "too heavy" reel and once I pulled line off and had pull from the river the balance completely changed. Suddenly I realized the reel was actually on the light side as the tip was buried in the water.

Any of those "80" sage reels will balance... 2080, 4280 et al if you want something modern.

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Agree with G44's comment above; Steve's got just about every 2 hander ever built 'dialed in' as to what it needs to properly cast/fish. The other thing he will factor in (with your first call to him be prepared for a long conversation) is your 'casting style' as this will impact how many grains you'll get in the line. I tend to 'hammer' my forward casts on all but the lightest 2 handers (rods just won't allow you to go there) so you/I have the same rod but because of my 'style' my line may well be 30-40 grains lighter.

golfman44 likes this.
  4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Should have added if the same grains it probably will be a tad longer. As for my preference for reel balance (95% of my fishing is with a 2ander) just add the backing and skip the line as most of that's going to out the rod tip anyway when you're fishing. Preference is to balance the rod at the top handle hand placement slightly tip up. Even more so when you get to 13' and up (7 wt and up) rod in your hand. That's a lot of 'plastic' to counter balance and it takes a heavy reel (and/or lead tape) to pull that off.

Looking at a photo (different web board) this AM and fellow was actually holding his rod above the cork .... and he had one darned big reel on the thing. But it would appear that's where the 'balance point' ended up.

5. CLO

CLO 9 time heavy weight steelhead champion

You should get that rod setup by June so we can go practice casting on the Sky.

golfman44 likes this.
  6. too much faggy spey science up in here, seriously string it an fling it

sopflyfisher and DanielOcean like this.
  7. golfman44

Evan I didn't ask about balancing a center pin please stick to your area of expertise

8. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Erring on the heavy side is easily corrected. Adjust your swinging hold grip a little closer to your reel, This also provides a notable casting benefit if you use mostly bottom hand power. Try it.

David Dalan and sopflyfisher like this.
  9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

When you hit neutral balance right on your two hander it is truly a beautiful thing. It really makes hanging onto and managing your rod/line/swing effortless which you will notice at the end of a long day or week for that matter. It just feels right, like its a perfect extension of you. I think most people are running too heavy of a reel now that I pay attention to it. Especially with uber light short rods, it's really easy to do. But that's my humble opinion. If you have the 7126 method think about similar classed light weight reels. It'll cost ya a bit of $$$ but a properly balanced reel will really compliment the featherlight rod. Which is what you are essentially paying for.

On my deathstar I run a hardy salmon 2 and now after a season fishing mainly my 8133-3 Burkie and Abel Spey clicker I can say that hardy is too heavy. The longer heavier Burkie is so dialed it feels weightless during the swing. Where the Death Star, when I'm fully relaxed with a comfortable grip, is starting to plane tip up. Look up the specs and see what that reel weighs (off the top of my head I think its 10.5 oz empty??). For me my next reel for that rod will be at least an ounce lighter. If not more.

But hey that's just me.

Darthmonkey, Evan Burck and golfman44 like this.
  10. centerpins have the adijustibality to be mounted at multiple positions. you have the luxury of putting in where it balances best

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

What in the hell is a centerpin? You will have to excuse my ingnorance as this must be a bead tossers term.lol

12. Yes and it throws yarn especially well too

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

to the original question, 8-9 oz should balance that rod nicely.
    As Fred said, balanced at your hold point with the line out, swinging, slightly tip up. When reeled in, it will feel a little butt-heavy.
    This makes a difference -a substantial difference- in fatigue over the course of a long summer's day of fishing. A properly balanced rod lessens fatigue so much that you can still be casting well at the end of the day. Which is why experienced spey casters pay attention to it.
    It's helpful to balance even the shorter rods, and it starts becoming a major thing on longer sticks like 14' and up.
    On rods like the one you describe, I usually use like a Lamson 4 or something like. I have lightly built 12'6" customs that I use lighter reels on though.
    Sometimes I have to add a bit of weight to the reels to balance the outfit too.

14. golfman44

Thanks for the replies. I went with the sage 4210. Its 7.5 oz so I can add a little bit of weight if needed but I think it should be dynamite. But at the end of the day as long as I'm in the ball park thats okay with me

DanielOcean likes this.
  15. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

one good cheap way to add weight is to spool on some leadcore trolling line under your backing. Easy to add small amounts of weight that way.
    Good luck in your fishing and enjoy your new "man jewelry" as I heard Timmy Rajeff recently describe his reels.

golfman44 likes this.