reel for bamboo rod?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by ghflyflinger, Apr 17, 2005.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I was poking around in an old antique shop in La Conner. Spyed two Hardy Perfects which weren't in the best of condition. I mean sort of beat up like they had the piss fished out of them. But they worked and the music was good, The tag was about $500 each. Geez. Talk about the price going up not down. Probably be worth a grand someday,

Bob, the I need more Hardy reels so send me some. :clown:

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Most of you may already know but even the most beaten up Hardy reels can be put back into the best of shape by Bill Archuleta of Grants Pass, Oregon (541-956-1691, or 888-332-7335). I believe that he could probably make a new Hardy reel for you. I've sent a lot of people to Bill over the years for some very technical repairs of old Hardy reels and everyone has been not only please but often amazed. Through the years Bill has repaired a an original SA/Hardy System 5 and a Hardy Lightweight. After consulting with Bill on my Hardy St. John 3-7/8" (Dural) I've decided to use it for summer steelhead in BC this year. So, if you locate any old Hardy reels that are approaching bargain prices you can figure that Bill can put them in top shape for you. It only costs money, but what the hell! we're talking class, elegance, asthetics here.
    Good Fishing, Les Johnson

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just seconding Les' comments on Bill Archuleta. Last summer I broke an entire segment out of the reel cage on one of my Princesses. Not only was it broken, but the broken piece tinkled away into the rocks and half-an-hour of hands-and-knees searching couldn't discover it. Bill fabricated a new segment, TIG welded it into place, cleaned it up and repainted 'er. The only way I could tell where the work had been done was a lack of the scuffs and scratches that are a feature of the rest of the reel. Work of this kind isn't exactly cheap, but I thought it was reasonable. If you have a reel of value (either monetary or emotional) that's in need of some TLC, Archuleta's your man.

4. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

I will admit, that I recently got bit by the bamboo bug. They are just WAY too much fun to cast. I will warn you now, dont ever cast one unless you want to buy one!
    To make matters worse my Ross reels dont look good on my new bamboo rod...Maybe in a couple years or so I can buy a hardy!! bawling:

5. Cliff

Cliff Member

I'll vouch for that (and so will Kent). The first time I cast a bamboo rod was my dad's old Heddon, back around 1968 or so, but I didn't get my own bamboo rod until 1995, a few years after reading Trout Bum, by Gierach. He really set the hook in me for bamboo, like a lot of people. For the last few years that's really all I'll fish, except for some high lakes fishing whe I use graphite, and I have a modest collection of vintage and modern bamboo. I'm no bamboo snob at all, but I just enjoy it much more than graphite rods. So far, I haven't gotten into great reels, but that's mainly because I'm on a budget and thus far, a reel is just a place for me to hold line. I've caught some bruisers on my Medalist 1494 1/2 & 1495 and didn't need the fancy drag system (neither did Haig-Brown). But a Peerless or Saracino reel would be nice!

Cliff

6. Northlake27

Northlake27 Member

A word of warning for those of you considering catching the "Bamboo Bug". A few years ago I caught "IT", now I have several rods that I have refurbished or just collected. Then I spent a fair sum to start building rods for myself and friends. If you see a "Curlew Cane" rod out there it is one of mine. Needless to say I am hooked. There is just something about the Karma of a Bamboo rod.
    As for a reel I found that for a display rod I use an old South Bend Finalist, they are a deep red and really set off a Bamboo Rod. For fishing Bamboo I like a bright reel, gold or silver. Teton or Redington are good looking and perform well too.

7. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

old Pflueger Medalist(old Pflueger, not current made in China Pflueger).

Hardy, any Hardy model. Or, alternatively, an old SA System reel that was made by Hardy (more affordable than the comparable Hardy, but performs the same function just as well. A rose by any other name . . . )

And, finally, an Orvis CFO. Classic, quality click/pawl design similar to the Hardy.

:thumb:

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Richard's right about older SA reels being made by Hardy. The SA System models were later marketed by Hardy as their Marquis line. The only difference between them was most of the SA's had a single click pawl while the Marquis usually have two. The spools are interchangeable between the two.

The SA 130 and 140 series sell regularly on eBay for $35-$45 while the almost identical Hardy Viscount 130 and 140 sell for $100 or more. I guess the Hardy name has more sex appeal than Scientific Anglers'.

Good call on the Orvis CFO. For years the click pawl versions were also made by Hardy but more recently with the introduction of disc drag models, by another British company. Even beat up vintage CFOs command hefty prices while minty ones regularly sell for $300 or more.

K

9. ghflyflinger

ghflyflinger Member

Wow!!! :eek: I guess I have a lot of thinkin to do about what i want to spend and what i want in a look. Thanks a lot to everyone who replied (some multiple times) I'll post a pic when i make my descion.

Jake