Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

reel for bamboo rod?

Bamboo 
10K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  BearBio 
#1 ·
What would be the best reel to balance a 8'6 5wt bamboo rod? i have heard pflueger, just wondering if there are any other opinions out there? :confused: Thanks.

Jake

#30 ·
JW Young Condex and Pridex models in 3.25" and 3.50" will fit the bill nicely also. Pretty much bullet proof and you can find them for $100 +/- fairly easy. I have Pridex and Beaudex models with "born on dates" from the 50's and 60's. Easy to maintain and if you have an "oh shit moment" the mental impact isn't like dropping a Perfect or a St George Jr.

#32 ·
Here's a bit of a sleeper reel, one that doesn't come to mind but is great on a bamboo rod...Sage 106M or 108M (wider width). Classic looks, smooth and adjustable click & pawl drag, tough as nails and best feature is the hefty weight, coming in around 7 ounces. I like a heavier reel to balance my bamboo rods over 8' long and these reels do that very well. Made my JW Young.

#33 ·
I have an Orvis Disc reel on my Bamboo. I got the disc because I hate the click sound. Since all my Bamboo are 5 wt or less, the reel is just something to hold line and since I could care less what other people think of my "style" I opted for cheap(ish) function instead of fashion

#36 ·
Actually, it is Bonito (My BS is in Marine Biology; MS in Animal Behavior). Grew up in Long Beach, Hermosa Beach, Lakewood. Went to LBCC, Cal State LB, Cal Baptist (Riverside) and Cal State Northridge.

From Wikipedia: Bonitos are a tribe of medium-sized, ray-finned predatory fish in the family Scombridae - a family it shares with the mackerel, tuna, and Spanish mackerel tribes, and also the butterfly kingfish.[1] Also called the tribe Sardini, it consists of eight species across four genera; three of those four genera are monotypic, having a single species each. Bonitos closely resemble the skipjack tuna.

Catching Bonito at Horseshoe kelp, Belmont Pier, Seal Beach pier, San Gabriel breakwater by the steam plant on freshwater rods, even caught a few legal "Barries" off of Belmont. Ahi tuna in Mexico and a few "footballs"; Yellowtail off of Catalina. And of course, albies on 4 day long range to the Coronados.

#38 ·
My dad owned a burger shop at Hermosa Beach when I was really young. Fished Redondo harbor until I was twelve. And yes, I grew up mis-calling them "bonita"...its hard to break habits formed when you are 5 years old. LOL! If the steam plant "bubble" in King Harbor was still going strong pulling in large numbers of bonito, I'd probably get down there to fish it every year. I was sorry when that fishery tailed off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.