reel for spey rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by albe6322, Mar 29, 2005.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i love my ross reels...

2. albe6322

albe6322 New Member

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I'm going to go down to the Red Shed fly shop and see what he has to say about rods and lines. I am for sure going to get a Ross Reel, already own a few and they are awsome. Thanks for the ideas. As far as the rod goes its not going to just be for the clearwater. I'd like it to be an all around rod. Is a 7/8 heavy enough to throw a type eight tip and lead eyed fly? Thanks again.

Matt

3. FLGator

FLGator Member

My two seconds...

Mike Cummins at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, ID. Best spey shop in the business and customer service second to none...period.

Danielsson reels. Incredible performance at a price point well below other reels in it's class (Abel, Tibor, etc.). Customer service from Ron Larson is exceptional as well.

Chris

4. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

I have a Redington Brakewater 11/12 on my 15' 10 weight Orvis Trident TL. It holds a Sci Anglers tri-tip spey with 200 yards of 30 pound backing. I like it well enough, and they're not super expensive.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

albe,

Yes, a 7/8 Spey rod will comfortably throw a size 8 sink tip, with or without the lead-eye weighted fly. Sometimes when I'm fishing highly varied water, I just keep the full floating Spey line on and switch leaders, a 5' or 10' Airflow fast sinking, or super-extra-fast sinking leader, or 10' of 8# test leader and the 1/30 oz. lead eye marabou streamer. I'm amazed at how deep that fly can fish, good for deep fast pocket water, or steering amoung boulder garden pools.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Well here's my 2 cents...Have you looked at Lamson's LS 4?

I love mine and it's so simple. I put 250 yards of the rated backing and with my 10wt versi tip I still have about 3/16ths of the spool showing above the line.

:thumb: