Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reel lock rings

Rod Building 
919 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Philonius 
#1 ·
Hey Now.

I have an old Fenwick that I picked up pretty cheap. Other than the chunk-o-matic grip, it's a nice rod. The best feature is never needing to baby or worry about it; anything that happens is no big deal.

Last time I was out, the reel seat/butt cap fell off, FORTUNATELY in a place where it was easily retrieved. Before I slap it back on, I may try contouring the grip, but also think that a second lock ring would be a big improvement- the single ring down locking setup has a definite tendency to loosen up in use.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find something that works for this application? The aluminum butt section is just under 3/4" in diameter, and the threads appear to be 1/16" pitch.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You may have better luck replacing the whole seat with an uplocking seat with a non recessed fixed hood. It may be a little longer than your existing reel seat, but that shouldn't be a problem. If you find a lock ring that fits, you're still going to have to remove the seat to screw it on. Replacing the reel seat is probably the easiest solution.
Good luck.
Tight lines,
Keith

Attachments

#9 ·
Update: I just adhered the butt cap back on with the hot melt glue that they glue hand grips on nordic ski poles after cutting them to length. It's tenacious stuff, especially when using a good heat gun and basically welding the piece on with goo.

That will keep fine indefinitely. Eventually, I'd want to replace the reel seat and shape the cork; it's literally not been shaped at all. Easy enough, I have a drill press in my garage, and a lathe in storage- needing a good home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.