Reel Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Robert Engleheart, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

After order my new Meiser Highlander, 11'-6" 5/6/7, I now have second thoughts on the reel(s) I had planned to use with it in terms of capacity/balance. I ordered one of Steve Godshall's lines from Bob to match the rod, a Scandi with integrated MendMaster running line.

1st Choice: A sweet Bauer MZ4 w/ 2 extra spools. Currently spooled with a Rio SAS 7WT and Ambush 7 WT on other spool. Both lines fill the spools, but I suspect there is more backing than I'll need and can take it down by 1/2, I think. Previous owner fished Stripers and Baja and said it was 30# teflon-coated backing and I didn't ask, but would bet there's 200 or more yards on each spool.

2nd Choice: Lamson Konic 3.5 I won in an auction benefit. Appears to be 1/4" wider and 1/8" deeper spool than the Bauer, so it appears it'd carry more backing, albeit approx 1 ounce lighter (6 vs. 7 +/-).

I am thinking 100-125 yards of gel-spun backing at minimum, I can think of 2 times I've been spooled by fish and both times it wouldn't have mattered if I'd had 300 yards backing; those fish got into the current and were gone with no way to follow. For the steelhead fishing I do, if a fish gets 100 yds out, it's most likely a goner.
    Anyone having thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

I have that rod (assuming it's the 11'7") and use a Ross Big Game 6 which can hold up to 200 yards of 30# and a 6/7 Delta no problem. It's a bit bigger than the reels you mention but I like a tad heavier reel on my short speys as kind of a pivot point to keep things central and slow

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For that rod, I use a Ross Gunnison 5 with extra spools; around 6.5 oz. empty. Ample backing room, and by my non-judgmental tastes, good balance.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I like a Hardy St. John on my 11' 6" and 12' rods. Or a Sage 509 if you can find one. Simple and reliable.

Sg

5. PT

PT Physhicist

I have an MZ2 and 3. I would think the 4 or even 5 would be about right for a shorter 2 hander. Just a thought, but I really like my Bauers.

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

PT, the Bauer is a sweetheart. Just think I'm going to have to try it. Really don't want to put out the $ for a premium reel when I have one; if it'll do the job.

7. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7 reels I have used on this rod are Abel #3, Pate Bonefish, Bauer #6. The last is bigger than you need, but all three work well and have adequate capacity. I like 30# dacron for backing.

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I too am a big fan of Bauers. Although not a fan light weight reels on two hand rods. I wrap a couple layers of lead core trolling line under the backing. On the reels with head type lines, I have more backing than I'll ever need, just to fill the spools. Forget about that gsp stuff, 30lb dacron is the way to go.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I use a Ross Gunnison 5 on my switch rods and 12'6 spey rod and on my 14' 9 wt., a Big Game 6 so I guess I'm in agreement with most. The G-5 holds the lines and backing yet is very lightweight and has a decent drag . I have used others; Momentum 5, BG-4, etc. but the G-5 seems to be the best match for the rods I have.

10. kvn75

kvn75 New Member

I use a Sage 3400D on my 12'6" #5/6/7 .... very nice reel
    I think Hardy Bougle 3 3/4 will balanced your rod.