Reel recomendation for steelhead

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by WA-Fly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. LD

LD Active Member

So how many Models do they make (?) and one is not made in their shop, ok????????????? The konic still has the same drag system as the top of the line reels. They are unlike many reel companies or companies that have reels made for them where most if not all are made overseas. Their customer service is great. You can call and the actually answer the phone and they answer emails also. So I will still stand behind my recommendation.

These days it is hard to buy bad gear these days. Just gets down to personal preference and experience.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

See, and I'm opposite. I prefer to NOT use a reel's drag and it seems inconsistent and cause the rod tip to jump which can break tippets. Even if a reel has a great drag, I prefer to use my palm to control runs. My hand hasn't let me down yet. (don't read into that sickos!):p

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I think my facts got jumbled a bit. The reels other than the Konic are machined here, but the drags are imported from what I understand.

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Whoah buddy, Evan just stated a fact with no implied judgement or bias, and he wasn't questioning your recommendation.

Echo Ion reels are damn solid and a squeaky drag can be fixed with a little cleaning and light lube, no big deal. Jay of the http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/ uses them for salt fishing for kings and coho with no problems. They are quite durable and you can get extra spools for under $50.

Allen Alpha II is my go-to reel for steelhead and coho; tough to beat the weight, construction, and quality for the money, plus they frequently have sales and coupons.

PT likes this.
  5. LD

LD Active Member

I set my drag very light when I use a reel with a drag. For steelhead I do not hold a loop and let the fish pull off the reel. I do not remember ever losing a fish because of the drag and do not experience any other issued mentioned. My velocity I can palm or use fingers as well as the drag when wanting to apply more pressure.

The other reel I use is a SpeyCo circle spey. Great reel and it is nice to know that a guy made it for me in his shop in Wisconsin. Those reels are tough and reasonable for what they are.

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I use several reels for steelies and on none of them do I set the drag any tighter that just to prevent over-run. This year, I'm fishing primarily with a Young Beaudex. Great reel...I'm really starting to enjoy reels without a rim control more and more. IMO, it helps me feel more connected to the fish (a combination of shorter glass rods plus that Beaudex). I also recently picked up a Valentine 95 (basically a Medalist on steroids) for both steelhead and any saltwater stuff that a 8/9wt is required. The one other reel that I really enjoy is a Hardy St. Aiden clone...there are multiple companies that put these out, mine is a Daiwa. Great reel and one of the loudest that I've ever heard. Last year I used a Hardy Marquis but ended up selling it off as it was redundant and I liked the other reels better (yes, even the Daiwa).

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Steelhead rise better to Hardys.

Bamboo too.

8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Cool. I have been considering fishing a glass one hander. My shoulder have really improved recently and the idea of fishing one handed more is appealing. I can't see giving up the double to fish tips in the winter too much, but really need to do it for dry line fish. There is a smaller stream that I'd like to fish with glass for summer fish. Additionally, I could see using it on a couple of the smaller streams I fish in the fall.

My shoulders have been bad for so longI have essentially given up trout fishing etc. I could see using it on smaller peices to ease myself back into casting single handers. You gotta love how you can feel a glass rod load. Landing fish is also a joy, as I recall.

What other things do you like about steelheading with a single hand glass rod? What parts do you dislike?

Go Sox,
    cds

9. Randall Clark

not to take too much away from this thread, but I think you nailed it already on the reasons I like it. Feeling the load, landing fish, plus just the overall fight I enjoy much better. I just feel more relaxed. Plus, I feel like I can land fish much much quicker because you have more leverage & you're fighting the fish with the entire rod. As far as it being tough on the shoulders, I can see that...one thing that I do towards the end of the day when I'm starting to get tired, is just cast two-handed. With the lines that they're coming out with now for SH rods (i.e. Ambush, etc.), they allow you to spey cast all day long with ease. I think the only downside is that my range is limited, but it's not too much of a downside because it forces you to focus on smaller pieces of water (even on larger rivers) & pick up fish from smaller spots that you may have overlooked...I don't really consider the lack of throwing tips a downside because I don't like doing that regardless of the type of rod I'm throwing.

10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Thanks Randall. I need to build the glass blank that I have for next fall.

Last year I fished with a couple of Canadians who were atlantic salmon fishermen and had only fished steelhead a bit. They fished singles w/ JW Youngs where everyone was swinging double handers. They did quite well. It looked like a hoot.

Do you have a fighting but on your glass road to 2-hand easier. I've thought it may be easier to teach 2-handed casting to my daughters than single, but maybe I could do both w/ a 9 foot 8 wt glass w/ a butt.

It sure is nice to have a flyfishing conversation here :).

Go Sox,
    cds

Derek Day likes this.
  11. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I built an angler's roost 9'6'' 7/8 bamboo rod for fall steelhead. It's a blast. I'd highly recommend it.

12. Randall Clark

Do you have a pic of that bad boy?

13. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

You'll notice that there is a wrap of tape above the cork. I got impatient waiting for my cork to drop-ship from Portugal and put a temporary handle, on because I wanted to fish it.

That fish took about half my backing. Oh yeah--getting the thread back on track. The reel was a St Aiden knock off (3 3/4''). I have another reel same size that fits a 400gr Skagit and 150 yds. of backing.

Attached Files:

14. PT

PT Physhicist

DD, nice pics. I learned with an old bamboo rod and now considering building something along those lines.

15. Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin Member

Velocity 4 for $149.99 and Litespeed 4 for $195.99 @ steepandcheap.com, Gear Cache. Crazy prices. Just picked up a couple myself.