Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reel seat recessed hood dimensions and cork grip cutouts

Rod Building 
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blackbird 
#1 ·
I picked up some pretty good cork grips with a 0.75 inch cutout for the recessed hood reel seat.

Anyone know any reel seats, other than the basic UL3 type seats, that fit this?

Related question" anyone know a handy table or data base with reel seat dimensions, so I could search for seats with dimensions I want, and then find vendors afterward.

Jay

#3 ·
Jay, I've never had much of an issue with this, they always seem to fit. Although I seem to remember cutting off the recessed portion once and gluing on a cork ring and then sanding it down to shape and then reaming out a new recess. But i guess it is better if they fit.

Wayne

#4 ·
I've done it several ways. With a complete cork grip, you can put the reel seat hood against the back end, trace a line around it, file with a smallish rattail file, staying within the line. A Dremel drill might do it better. If building a handle from cork rings, do the rear ring the same way, first.

#5 ·
I sanded the cork recess out to a larger ID, and the reel seat fits now.
So easy its silly I asked the question.

I selected a socket with an OD of an appropriate size from by tool chest(hex socket set), and wrapped some sand paper around it. After hand twisting this to ream out the cork hood ID a little, I put the paper on the next size socket, and repeated. That was enough.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.