Reel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by young_gun, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Young Gun,
    Before you buy a Redington you may want to check out www.outdoorreview.com Click on the flyfishing reviews and then reels. I'm not trying to bad mouth the Redington product, but they have had quite a few problems the the drags on both the AL and RS2. Lots of places are blowing them out. The price point is great, but the reels comes with no warranty. What does that tell you. Most other discontinued products you buy at least come with a warranty. If your going to fish steelies, spend a little more and get something that will serve you for many years to come. Their are lots of good reels out there.
    Best of luck,
    Brian

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Look for the Ross canyon 3 if there are any left. It's great, then there's the big game 4 or the new Evolution. The ross reels are the best deal for the money, I swear by them and have used them in harsh and extreme conditions, ie; snow and ice, heat, dirt and constant salt exposure. I just rinse them off and keep on going. Best thing is the drag is consistent and seems to wear very well, and I have had no hang-ups with indented or lame drags after leaving them at the same setting over time.A very durable reel indeed. And I have about one of everything else.I think the Ross reels are very workmanlike, a real- reel value for the money over time.

3. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

TIOGA 8

I am going to get rid of every other reel I have and go Tioga all the way. Just my $.02

4. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

Sir-
    Aside from the price and the fact that the Tioga is used by DD, the Litespeed features the above qualities you mentioned plus some.

The Litespeed features a fully sealed drag, machined from solid barstock and an unconditional lifetime warranty.

And the features that the Litespeed have that the Tioga do not include its Type 3 Anodization process which is much more durable then a Type 2 features on all other reels. The Litespeed is also a true large arbor reel while the Tioga is a standard arbord paraded as a large arbor because Teton cut the centor out.

Plus myself and others have tested and put the Litespeed through the tests since they became available with less problems then those that plague the Teton, such as as the drag adustment screwing stripping itself and thus the reel becomes nearly useless.

Just my overly opinionated two-cents!

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree, NOTHING can top the Litespeed for the price, even though I still patiently waited for 1 month for one to show up on Ebay: 200.00 at the Buy Now option for a NEW Litespeed 3!
    Actually to tell the truth, finding a Litespeed for 200.00 is pretty rare. Again, if I wanted something with a high quality drag and at a reasonable price, I would save my pennies and straight out buy a Lamson Velocity. Now theres the BEST reel under 200.00!!! These Conical drags are AWESOME!
    Here is my personal rankings for Steelhead Reels
    100-150.00: Teton Tiogas LA
    150-200.00: Lamson Velocity
    200.00-up: Lamson Litespeed (Nothing can beat it for the money)

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

6. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

Tioga, Tioga, Tioga
    I have 5 fly reels and 5 of them are Tioga's. Not that I haven't owned several other brands, but over time I have learned what has worked best for me. I have them from a size 4 to the 12LA. Never had a single problem with any of them.

7. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    If I was to go back before purchasing my Lamson Litespeed, I would definately get TETON'S ROCK SOLID TIOGA (LargeArbor) REEL. For 6 reason's more than anything else. The 6 BIG reasons are:

1)PRICE! get NEW on Ebay for less than 110.00 or new in stores for 130.00!!!
    2)Barstock Aluminum materials!!!
    3)Totally SEALED AWESOME drag system!!!
    5)UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY!!! USA MADE!!!
    6)Used by Steelhead Guru DDickson, proven performance!!!

TETON'sREELS.http://www.tetonflyreels.net/teton/home.html

But if money was no object but still looking for the best out of your money for performance,materials,drag system and warranty, there is NO comparison to LAMSON'S LITESPEED, period.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19