Reels.....Best bang for the buck!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DBLTAPER, Feb 11, 2010.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Han, you're mistaken about Meiser reels.

The drag system is the same as Voessler. pin on carbon disk. Very very good. Impeccable machining, bulletproof finish, hard to find anything to criticize. Well, they may be a little light to suit my taste for spey. I can say the same about Lamsons.
    The reels were built to Bob's standards and his design by a european company who mills for other high end brands, but Bob offers them at a very reasonable price.

In these pages, it's best to criticize only products or people you actually have knowledge of. I don't know you, but I know Bob Meiser and I catch fish on two sizes of SGS reels. And they are a great buy. As are Lamsons.

2. Han Double

Han Double Member

I can't actually criticize the meiser reels having not played with them, but I do know some fellas who grew to hate the drag on their ammundson wind warrior reels which in my opionion look IDENTICAL to the meiser reels besides the witness marks and finish.

my previous statement was more along the lines as to wether or not the meiser reels came first , it sounds more like he picked a reel out of a pre made line up at some factory and added various options. instead of having his fingers in every part of the design like some people who know as little as I do would lead people to believe... Im just saying.
    refer to my other post where I said he makes top notch stuff. it would be fool hardy of me to speak ill of any thing that meiser MAKES, as I would have more meiser disciples jumping my S@#$ than I would know what to do with (and Im one of those die hard Meiser disciples)
    I was actually criticizing the people falsely believe Meis is now milling his own flavor of reels down there in oregon along with some of the best rods on the river.

3. SpeySpaz

It's foolhardy to criticize a product you clearly know nothing about, Han.
    I looked at the link you posted, and the SGS and amundsen are only similar in general shape. I immediately noted a number of differences, and there's no picture of the drag side of the reel.
    Since you admit not having played with an SGS, it's time for you to bow out of this one gracefully.

If you want confirmation, talk to Bob about the reels. I have, at length.

4. Han Double

Han Double Member

bowing out now.

5. SpeySpaz

good man. well done, sir.

6. Jon Viebrock

Jon Viebrock Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...

You know, people have been reeling in fish with Pfluger medalist reels for years. I would suggest searching craigs list and only buying the old "made in the USA" ones. They were made in Akron Ohio. Every conceivable species of game fish has been reeled in on a medalist. I own lots of fly reels, some really expensive. However, there is a certain attraction to buying medalist reels at garage sales, on craigs list, and so forth. It's a great game, and the good thing is, it's so cheap that your wife won't even get mad at you for doing it.

7. Jon Viebrock

Furthermore; people need to own up to who they really are and answer to the "real name" thread on the forum. Hiding behind made up names is what little girls with imaginary friends do.............

8. SpeySpaz

The insights on Medalists were cool.

Funny how a cascade of river closures puts everyone on the rag. Happens every year. I'm feeling it too.
    Bob

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I opt for the Ross CLA. It's moderatly priced, works smoothly, and has a killer warranty.

10. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

48 posts and calling people out?Why?
    By the way Ross for trout,Lamson for steel.

John Michael Clark

11. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

If you can find any Lamson Radius out there, they were replaced by the Guru, still an excellent reel for the $. All the Lamson goods, machined, USA, saltwater, conical drag, excellent service, all for under $100 and spools under $50. MRFC still had a few in their last catalog.

12. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

13. Jon Viebrock

Yeah, I started on the rag when the closures were announced, but then it really picked up steam when I started taking chantix. No more smoking, but jesus christ, I can be tough to be around...................

14. SpeySpaz

more unfavorable drug incidents have been reported on Chantix that any other drug this year; digoxin was in second place.
    I went bonkers on Chantix too, and when I tried Zyban I went manic.

Wish they could put the feeling of a sweet loop into a pill...all my vices would go away.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I can't believe that this thread went more than 5 posts. The answer is a medalist. Made in USA medalists are the best bang for your buck. No other real is close when comparing quality to price.

There are plenty of reasons to buy other reels but bang for the buck it isn't close.

Go Sox,
    cds