Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal vise

Wanted 
1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  PBR 
#1 ·
Troutpocket is right. I need a Regal. :)

I've always wanted to try one and have decided instead of fussing around with new jaws for my Baraccuda I'll just pick up a Regal. This will be used to tie my smaller flies for the most part.

So does anyone have a pedestal base Medallion out there? Big game jaws would be a big plus.

Id consider a Revolution if anyone had one to unload but that seems pretty unlikely.

If you have something that you think may strike my fancy shoot me a PM and lets talk

Nick

#4 ·
I owned a Norvise for a couple of years. Fantastic tying system, solidly built, and some of the best customer service in the business but in the end I decided it wasn't for me.

For the most part I prefer to wrap materials by hand and only use the rotary function to view the fly from different angles and for inverting the hook when tying clousers and such. I also wasn't a big fan of how the vise fit my hands. I always felt cramped, especially when tying in a tail.

Great vise no doubt but just not for me.

Nick

#5 ·
Love my Regal! I think Avid had a deal on them at the FF show last week. They come in a bunch of cool colors now. Someday I'll add a NorVise to use, but wouldn't give up what I have now. Might get the midge jaws eventually, but don't prefer to tie small stuff.. easier to just buy those... at least for me.

Reactions: Nick Clayton
#7 ·
Isn't that regal revolution much like a nor vise (true center rotary)? Or am I off?

(sorry nick for thread hijack)
It's true rotary but from what I can tell that's where the comparison ends. If you have never tied on a Norvise all I can say is that its a very unique system unlike any other vise I've ever seen.

#9 ·
Ya the Traveler is a great vise. I had one years ago. I am pretty set on a Regal at this point. Always wanted to try one and really like how I don't have to mess with adjusting between different hooks. I think I may just order a new one with the big game jaws and if I like it I'll just get rid of the Baraccuda

#11 ·
Troutpocket is right. I need a Regal. :)

I've always wanted to try one and have decided instead of fussing around with new jaws for my Baraccuda I'll just pick up a Regal. This will be used to tie my smaller flies for the most part.

So does anyone have a pedestal base Medallion out there? Big game jaws would be a big plus.

Id consider a Revolution if anyone had one to unload but that seems pretty unlikely.

If you have something that you think may strike my fancy shoot me a PM and lets talk

Nick
For this discussion, what are "smaller" flies? Word of caution: the Regal regular jaws do NOT like small hooks, say smaller than 16.

#13 ·
Thought so; just wanted to make certain...

In that instance, the Regal is a solid product for you. HOWEVER, probably the other downside of the Regal is the neck is slightly offset from the center of the head, so when you apply epoxy to a head an rotate it to ensure the epoxy flows evenly, it doesn't because of the offset.

However, if you're using the stuff with UV light, instead of the old school epoxy, then no problem.

You'll really enjoy not having to adjust the jaws for differently sized hooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.