Regs - why can't I read them

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by alessis, Mar 10, 2003.

1. alessis

alessis New Member

I'd like to think I am not a total idiot, but trying to dicipher the WA marine area regs seems impossible sometimes.

I practice CnR, I have killed only one fish in the last several years. However, I am trying to figure out what the daily limit of Coho is in the south sound (marine area 12 - 13)is.

As near as I can tell, there is no minimum size. Is that true?

Can anybody tell me the daily limit?

I know I shouldn't even worry about it, by posting this today I am sure I'll get skunked tormorrow. But I'd still like to know.

Thanks.

2. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Alessis,
    They can be confusing for sure. Pay careful attention since each area has different rules and can vary a lot.

Basically find the current date range and to the right are the rules for that time period. Each marine area has another page with special areas that have different rules - whether near a creek or hatchery or some other conservation zone.

Area 12 - On page 40, Depending on where you will be fishing you can keep 1 salmon per day, chinook need to be 22", coho size is 12" (from page 16)
    But you need to watch the Hoodsport and Quilcene special regs - see page 41. Note that the regs change with the time of year.

For Area 13, pg 42 and 43 of the regs you need to look at each date period for 2002/3 - right now you can keep 1 salmon per day, chinook need to be 22", coho size is 12" (from page 16)

This should get you pointed going in the right direction. Any doubts call the WDFW and ask...don't rely on guys like me or the place where you got your license!

Jim W