Repair of a cracked ferrel

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by BrianC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. BrianC

BrianC Member

I crcked a ferrel the other day. It is about a quarter inch crack. Is there something that I could apply to glue it together? It is a custom built rod and I'm njot certain what blanks were used, so there is no warranty. Am I screwed or is there some way to easily fix the crack?:beathead: :beathead:

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    http://www.shofftackle.com/ferrules.html

I didn't use these ferrules before, but these metal ferrules sounds like a possible resolution to connect your blanks back again. (like bamboo rod ferrules).

Good luck,

Mark

3. Aaron Banks

Aaron Banks Member

Do a search on www.rodbuilding.org There forum has a ton of information.

Another solution is to take it to a custom rod builder and see what he can do. If the rod means a lot to you it may be worth $50-$100 dollars for a repair. (don't quote me on that, it may be more or less)

4. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

Home Page:
    what kind of ferrulwe? graphite? can I assume it's the female end? If it is you might get away with wrapping the whole ferrule with thread then applying epoxy over the top of it. Another thing would be to take a like piece of graphit ena dcut it to fit a d glue a sleave over the top. The first wy would be no harder than wrapping on a guide. The second way would require some work and skill. The second method more positive, the first, kind of iffy but it couldn't hurt anything.
    martin

5. BrianC

BrianC Member

Thanks for the ideas.

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Ouch! Honestly without some serious help there is little you can do. You can try to bind it with some thread, but you have to be careful on how you do it. If you do go that route, try to use kevlar thread, and do not bind it too tightly. If you do, the ferrule won't fit all the way down, and you'll end up breaking the rod off where the male end enters :(

The other suggestion of doing a sleeve is a good one too. It's probably the easiest to do and will probably work the best, but it doesn't leave much for cosmetics.

One other idea you could do is to just "fuse" the joint together with a sleeve. Looks like hell, but could probably be done pretty easy.

But overall the suggestion to get pro help is the best. Sometimes a custom rod repair guy will give you a break in the hopes of future business.

-- Cheers
    -- James

BTW, how the heck did it crack? Was it just one of those things that happened, or did a specific thing occur like dropping it?

7. riverdog

riverdog Member

If it were me, I'd try to strip off the thread and epoxy first. Often times a hair dryer or heat gun will heat the epoxy to the point where you can peel it back and pull the thread wraps off the end of the ferrule. Then gently pull the thread back off the ferrule so that it unwraps under the epoxy. This way the thread stands less of a chance of breaking. After the thread and epoxy are off, sand off the residue with very fine sandpaper or steel wool.

Next, find an old fiberglass rod, and cut a sleeve that will fit fairly snugly over the cracked ferrule. I'd go 1/2 inch longer than the male end extends normally into the female ferrule. Taper the ends with fine sandpaper, and slip it over the ferrule. Epoxy it into place, then wrap over it as you would when building a rod normally. Finish with epoxy, and it should give you many more years of happiness. The sleeve must be fiberglass. Graphite just won't work.

Good luck,

Riverdog