Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Replace a reel seat?

Rod Building 
637 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Josh Benjamin 
#1 ·
Hello all...
I've been a member here for a while, but have not posted much. I've got an older Fenwick 7.5' 5wt boron rod and I'd like to replace the reel seat on it. I'm pretty well aware that this doesn't make financial sense, but there's a pretty huge sentimental factor in this. Not sure if there's anyone on here that would do this or if there's anyone recommended. I just wanted to make it useable...not looking for anything fancy, just functional. I'm in Duvall or Bellevue, and don't mind travelling a bit if needed. I've contacted "Greg's Custom Rods" in Lake Stevens and am waiting for a response.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
-Josh

#3 ·
The butt/end piece started coming loose/unglued. My friend talked me into trying to "steam" the glue off of it so I/we could DIY a replacement. Brilliant idea...that was 2-3 years ago. I've lost anything I had to rebuild it. I got my 6 year old casting a fly rod over the weekend for the 1st time, but she tired quickly throwing my 9' 5wt so I decided I'd see if I could get this rod up and running again for her. As a kid, I remember my grandfather having this rod in a tube and never using it. Back then, Fenwick was a high end rod and he was really proud of that stick. I sort of dreamed about being able to use it some day. He gave it to me a long time ago and now I want to give it to my kid. I figure it's really lightweight and she might be able to handle it.

#4 ·
I'll do it for free if you supply all the parts and pay shipping both ways. I'm in Bremerton, WA. Not too long ago I did a reel seat/cork grip replacement on a G-Loomis Steelhead drift rod for a co-worker. I did it all from the butt end as to minimize re-work etc. it came out looking great! He was happy and so was I with the results. Looked like new. Pm me if you want to take me up on it. No strings attached, I'll do it just for the fun of it.

#6 ·
I'll get some pictures ASAP and post them up.
I didn't break anything. It's a downlocking seat. The butt cap is gone as is the loose sliding ring. Threaded "nuts" are still there.
I'm assuming I'll replace the whole reel seat. I'm even thinking about a smaller grip for the kid while I'm at it. I suppose I could just sand down the cork to the appropriate size.
Thanks guys. The offers for help are much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.