Trip Report Report: Golden Trout in a Cascades high lake

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Troutnut, Sep 6, 2017.

1. hbmcc

hbmcc Active Member

I'll never go there, nor anywhere similar, again. So, I thoroughly enjoyed an hour of cruising Jason's 'nut' site. Yes, Latin is best. Just don't expect my pronunciation to be correct; as I say, so I spell.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Jason, thanks for the great pictures and sharing such an adventure. I'm glad you returned safely and recognize the inherent danger you were exposed to by going alone. Golden's live in exquisite landscape and just reaching them has it's own rewards before you even catch one. The terrain leading into the lake you visited looks like a real bitch kitty to negotiate and probably isn't a trip anyone would enjoy making annually. But doing it once-now that's special!

I have soloed into a number of high elevation lakes in the Sierras to catch goldens and from your pictures would have to say that glacial polished granite is probably far easier to traverse than high angle wooded slopes with downfall.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  3. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

T/nut, do you belive those Goldens are reproducing in that small lake, or the fish you caught-hooked were from the last Trail Blazers planting?

Looks they reared some golden trout fry @ the old Tokul hatchery back in 2013, that still true today?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Troutnut

Troutnut Active Member

Home Page:
    I think they were from the last planting, which is listed on the WDFW website as 2012. I didn't see any smaller fish around that would indicate natural reproduction.

5. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Looks like 12-13" is about right for a 5 y/o trout in that environment

6. Troutnut

Troutnut Active Member

Home Page:
    Does anyone know if the golden plantings are all done by the Trailblazers, or are some done by helicopter? My hat's off to anyone who can climb to this thing with a bucket of fish, but it's almost hard to believe.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Probably helicopter if there isn't a trail.

8. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Truly and amazing journey for a Fish rarely heard of let alone captured in the Evergreen state. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

9. Big Rob

Big Rob Active Member

Super cool.:cool:

10. Peach

Peach Peach

I am late to the game but this is one cool report. Great work and thanks for sharing!

11. Philonius

Philonius Active Member

Yes, it's a beauty of a report. I've spent considerable time trying to puzzle out where he went, and still can't come up with a likely answer. I know the Cascades pretty darn well, have scanned likely spots on the map, and still can't figure this one out. From what he describes, it sounds like perhaps too much of an ordeal for an old fart like me, but still tempting.

12. freestonebound

freestonebound Active Member

I always wondered who you were. I love your website and all the content. It is so informative and the pictures are art. I've referenced you a lot when I want to know where nymphs of certain types reside, how to tie a realistic nymph based on your pictures, and other entomology fly fishing related issues. Thanks for sharing... Glad to see you on this forum!

13. Troutnut

Troutnut Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, I'm glad you've found the site helpful. I'm looking forward to having a bit more free time to work on adding Washington bugs in the next few years, and maybe even adding some identification features that have been on my to-do list for 10+ years.

freestonebound likes this.
  14. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Outstanding report. It was a great read when I was having trouble sleeping at 2 AM last night. Unfortunately it probably kept me up longer because I got curious and got lost in a Google Earth search for the lake. Not that I'd EVER attempt what you did, and no way I'd do it alone if I did. But, being a map junky I got sucked into looking, and was blown away when I saw the incredible number of lakes scattered through that part of the Cascades. It would take more than a lifetime to fish them all! The one you picked is a stunningly beautiful place. Thanks for not dying so you could share it with us!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Troutnut likes this.
  15. caljah

caljah Member

Bravo. what a great sounding trip. I would love to do an overland trip on a great 4X4, camp and spend a few day.