Report: MA11

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by John Weston, Jul 26, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

where are ya going in ma13 down to the river? we fish at the ft. lewis range.
    Outlaw

2. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

You in the army? I was thinking solo point or somewhere the fish have to go past to get to the river. Seems shallow a long ways out but that little island looks cool.

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Yes everyone knows that the deep south sound gets pinks waaaaaay before everywhere else. Its a mystery as to why, but I swear I saw about a 20 brazzilion pinks last week in the nisqually area. Chances are they're probably in the rivers by now. Oh well, better luck in 2015, I hear they'll reach the narrows by march 2014.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  4. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Had one follow/refusal at the boat and landed one that wrapped itself around the anchor line. My fishing partner was able to net it despite my best efforts to lose it. Looked like a "politically incorrect" fire drill for a while. I didn't have ALL the fun, though. She landed about an 18 inch starry flounder.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

It's great to have fishing partners with such quality netting skills. I had one such fellow in the boat yesterday. Got wrapped up around the anchor twice on one particular fish. Was able jump out over the bow and got my rod under/over the line both times and then Ira was able to net the fish, all my tangled line, and the anchor line all in one shot. Was an impressive feat of net management if I ever saw one.

Glad you were able to bring him to hand.

6. John Weston

John Weston Member

Thomas, no I am not in the army. ya need a pass to fish there. if the fish are in it's another hell hole, elbow to elbow fishing. I stay away when it's like that. I don't know if the pinks hit there first or not and have not heard they are in.
    Outlaw

7. GANDERWITZ

GANDERWITZ Member

BP was hot this morning. Lots of people catching. I went 2-3 and my buddy went 3-4. Best day out there so far! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376602974.970114.jpg

ten80 likes this.
  8. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Nice! With the spey I like it. I thought about throwing my 5wt Beulah platinum. Are you throwing a scandi with an intermediate tip or just a flouro tapered leader?

9. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Went out to my MA11 beach tonight and got my first pink on the fly rod; also got a big ol' starry flounder. The action from shore tonight was definitely faster than it has been. Would have kept fishing, but I dropped my phone into the sound LIKE A DAMN ROOKIE. Whatever, made one of my fishing goals for the year. Great success!

10. John Weston

John Weston Member

getting ready to leave for BP. hoping they are there. it's 3:15 am. report when I get back. tight lines and good fishin to all.
    Outlaw

11. John Weston

John Weston Member

getting ready to leave for BP. hoping they are there. it's 3:15 am. report when I get back. tight lines and good fishin to all.
    Outlaw

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You have your figures a bit off. The 7 million is for the entire Sound, all areas. The Puyallup figure is 1.8 million and 700,000 + for the NIsqually. Even at that, that is a lot of fish. Remain patient. They will get here. My figures could be a bit off but I'm not worried about them getting here. I went 3 for 4 yesterday in less than two hours.

13. James W.

James W. Member

My good buddy was skunked down in MA11 yesterday. He fished either side of high tide, but was not there for the early and late bite. Very mixed reports, it seems.

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Fished BP Friday on the ebb and incoming and it was very hot for about 2+ hours...most I've seen there in 6 trips. Since we were hosting our neighborhood picnic, I opted to keep a nice buck for the grill -- fortunately the best and last of the 3 fish I caught. I joked with everyone that if it turned out lousy we'd just pitch it ... but I was amazed that it actually tasted pretty good and was gone in the first pass.

Fished the same tide this morning and it was quite a bit slower. I hooked and gave away one fish to a father and son and saw maybe 20 caught in 3 hours.

15. wildbuca

wildbuca Member

Been out last two days in ma 11. Saturday was best I've seen this year. 5 for 8 in 3 hrs. Today was slower but went 1 for 4. Seal presence meant you had to put the hammer down.