Report: MA11

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by John Weston, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone Member

Fishee - As far as I know it's completely safe to eat salmon roe and I have been for years with no ill effect. I've seen recipes for steelhead, salmon and even trout (yes I know a steelhead is a trout). There are several recipes for making caviar online, but the one I use goes like this and it's been wonderful. The caviar in the photo was my last batch from the fish pictured.

1) Make two separate batches of brine consisting of 1/2 c salt to 1 qt. cool water and mix until the salt has dissolved. I use Kosher salt.
    2) Add around 1 lb. of fish skeins and let sit in the refrigerator for 5-10 min.
    3) Fill a bowl with moderately warm (105 - 115 degrees) water from the tap (if you have decent water), take one skein at a time (leave the remaining skeins in the brine until ready to dislodge roe) and massage the roe out of the sack while the skein is submerged. This is really kind of a tedious step, but take your time and try not to squish the roe. After several times you'll develop your own technique that works for you. The roe will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Repeat with remaining skeins. Also, I haven't been too concerned with temp. of the water at this point. It will cool down a bit, but as long as it feels body temp. or above you'll be fine.
    4) After roe has been removed, strain roe through a fine meshed sieve under cool running water removing any remaining membranes or odd bits.
    5) Once you're satisfied with the rinsing of the roe, pour the roe into the second brine and refrigerate for another 5 min. I find any more than that and it starts getting too salty.
    6) After the second brining again strain the roe, but do not rinse under water.
    7) Spoon your new caviar into clean glass jars and enjoy. In the fridge they will last up to two weeks, but mine never make it that long and I think they are better fresh anyway.

ten80 likes this.
  2. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

Thank you very much! Im definitely trying this, hopefully I'll catch a few hens this weekend.

3. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone Member

Good luck!!

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Numbst, what are your favorite salmon eggs for caviar?

I fished MA10 this morning (was 2/2 for small coho) and saw seven or eight seiners circling the north end of the area. I suspect MA11 fish numbers may take a drop in the next few days.

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Then I believe your beef is with floating lines, not the ambush line which also comes in intermediate. or you could just add an intermediate poly leader. I just think people resist it because its different is all. its an awesome floater for the steep barnacle encrusted beaches we have You just have to break the habit of false casting. Instead, its kind of a hybrid beach spey cast.

6. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone Member

I think you may be right. My dad went out with a friend in MA11 yesterday and came home with nothing after six hours, although he was seeing a few fish caught. I believe between his friend and him they may have had only 2-3 hits. They were also not fly fishing. Personally, I think Silvers and Pinks are grand. The caveat to this is I haven't tried making caviar out of any other type of roe!

7. ten80

ten80 Active Member

8. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone Member

I noticed this may not have been clear, but in step two you want to add the skeins to one of the batches of brine and then refrigerate.

9. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

100 dude...100. :)

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have no beef with the ambush line. They cast great but I don't like them as a beach line. I casted one today and prefer the Outbound. The ambush was an intermediate belonging to my buddy who is a far better caster than I am but I could get better distance with the outbound short.

11. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

ah ok, got it.

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

I believe that schedule is only for the week of the 18th
    (Look at the top)
    I am pretty sure there is an opening next week

13. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

Well...I went out fishing hardware with my old man. He caught a nice #15 Chinook hen, in Area 11; of course. I let you know how it went.

Just in case I did not follow your instruction correctly, what does it taste like, or what does it suppose to taste like? I've had Ikura (Salmon egg) with Nori (Toasted Seaweed) and rice; which tasted pretty good. Is it similar to that?

Any who's, I'll let you know how it taste later tonight; kinda excited. :)

14. John Weston

John Weston Member

well the day was good at BP. several pinks caught on the start of the outgo. my mojo was a workin and I broke my bad spell. I got hooked up and buried the hook thru it's mouth and into the eye. man this guy I could of played with all day, he wasn't comin unglued. I had just sharpin my hook and bang he was on the beach. my first pink of the yr.
    it was still a little slow out there but this was the first time we saw em jumpin. hope it last longer.
    Outlaw :D

15. Kevin Pidone

Kevin Pidone Member

Fishee, it tastes almost identical to Ikura. And you can make it saltier or less salty by varying your times in the final brine.