Resident Silver Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

My fishing buddy and I have had success targeting resident silvers(10-13") this past week and have given the sea-run cutthroat respite. We covered a lot of water in our boats looking for them. It was a beautiful, moody environment to enjoy on overcast days when the water surface was glassy.

We checked a few traditional winter resident silver locations but didn't see any fish except for 2 jumpers. Hopefully, the resident silvers will show up there in the near future like always.

We found 3 locations where schools of resident silvers were feeding on amphipods on the surface. The tip-offs were: (1) nearby sea gulls could be seen picking on the water surface as they were feeding on the amphipods, (2) could see numerous small(1/16-1/8") reddish/brown amphipods slowly spinning on the water surface, (3) schools of resident silvers could be seen periodically dimpling/swirling on on the surface as they feed on the amphipods. When the water surface occasionally became rippled, it was difficult to spot the schools of feeding resident silvers.

It was a fun cat and mouse game as the resident silvers moved up and down the shoreline. If we could determine the direction that they were moving, we would try to get ahead of them. If we were lucky, we had a minute or so to hook-up a couple of fish. It could get a little rushed since you need to cast your fly out there quickly before they moved out of casting range. It was not uncommon to get excited and have our casting lengths decrease since there was a tendency to hurry the casting stroke and not load the rods properly. We did see and hook a couple of fish that were a couple of inches larger than the ones that we landed.

Sometimes we would anchor the boat and patiently wait for a school of fish come by. But that could be nerve racking since you would often see a nice school of fish active several hundred feet behind the boat. Is it time to move down to them or wait for them:hmmm: .

Hope that this report and thoughts(apparent truths;)) stimulated you to check out out your local water for resident silvers.

Roger

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Roger -
    Thanks for the good report - I was getting worried about the resident coho situation. Earlier this fall I saw virtually no small coho (6 to 10 inch) in either MA 9 or 10 where in past years that size fish were absolute pest while chasing the adults. Having good numbers of resident coho in South Sound bodes well for next summer - can only hope that the resident fishing will be anywhere near as good as it was last summer.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Curt:

The size of resident silvers appear to be smaller(10-13") when compared to last year(14-15") at the end of Nov. Also, it seems like that there were a lot more resident silvers by this time last year. However, it is probably a little early to draw such conclusions. Much of the beauty of fly fishing on Puget Sound are it's ever changing aspects and challenges from one year to the next.

Hopefully, as the winter resident silver fisheries gets going, others will share information on size and abundence of resident silvers that they encounter:thumb: .

Roger

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'll share a little bit. I launched my boat this weekend and fished around fox island and under the narrows, I only saw 1 fish jump and didn't hook any silvers. I did salvage the day by getting into a pod of bigger cutts. I was a little disappointed in the lack of silvers compared to last year. I will probably head out again this weekend.

I like this time of year in the s. sound, the launches are empty and you pretty much have the water to yourself.