Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Resin hardened during the mixing

Rod Building 
979 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  runningfish 
#1 ·
I was trying to coat my 5th build when this happened and it never happened to me before.
I've always applied a thinned first coating to all my rods, and while I was stirring the epoxy mix (Flex Coat Lite). The mixture hardened even when I was stirring it, and I could hear the sound of it hardening. The bottom of the mixing cup was warm as well. I tried 5 times and it occurred every single times with or without denatured alcohol added. I've always using Flex Coat Lite for all my builds since they are very easy to use and I can prolong the resin life of it when I need to. And these are a brand new unopened set.
I always coated my guides indoor for dust control but I noticed that the Flex Coat Lite hardener (B) smells stronger than I can remember. It smells like Rod Dancer hardener paste that I use to glue reel seats, grips and tip tops which forced me to assemble them outdoor.

Backstory.
It's been a couple of months since my 4th build and I moved all my rod making equipment to the garage since I didn't plan to build another rod for sometime.
Do you guys think the heat in the garage altered the chemical composition of the resin? I've ordered a new set but I am curious what caused the resin to harden during the mixing.
cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
runningfish,
Rod finish manufacturers can sometimes put out bad batches of product. It's not unheard of. I've seen a whole shipment of bad Aftco rod finish. If this was a brand new unopened batch, I suggest you call whomever you bought it from and let them know what's going on. I think they owe you a replacement.

Tight lines,
Keith

#3 ·
Do you use syringes for accurate volume measuring? When I first read your post, I would have thought it was thinning it. Rod finish epoxies should not be thinned, some do, but can cause the chemical properties of the epoxy to be changed. However you said you tried it unthinned and had same results. My thought is,especially if you smell that the hardner smells stronger, is that you somehow got a bad batch of hardner. Most resins are the same, it is the hardner that controls pot life and blushing. I would contact your supplier, explain your problem, and see if they will send you another set. Humidity and heat can effect set up, but not as drastically as you make it sound.

#7 ·
I was trying to coat my 5th build when this happened and it never happened to me before.
I've always applied a thinned first coating to all my rods, and while I was stirring the epoxy mix (Flex Coat Lite). The mixture hardened even when I was stirring it, and I could hear the sound of it hardening. The bottom of the mixing cup was warm as well. I tried 5 times and it occurred every single times with or without denatured alcohol added. I've always using Flex Coat Lite for all my builds since they are very easy to use and I can prolong the resin life of it when I need to. And these are a brand new unopened set.
I always coated my guides indoor for dust control but I noticed that the Flex Coat Lite hardener (B) smells stronger than I can remember. It smells like Rod Dancer hardener paste that I use to glue reel seats, grips and tip tops which forced me to assemble them outdoor.

Backstory.
It's been a couple of months since my 4th build and I moved all my rod making equipment to the garage since I didn't plan to build another rod for sometime.
Do you guys think the heat in the garage altered the chemical composition of the resin? I've ordered a new set but I am curious what caused the resin to harden during the mixing.
cheers.
Most of the things you can do to alter the epoxy have the effect of ruining the hardening process, not accelerating it. My guess is it was nothing you did, but a bad batch from the manufacturer as others have suggested.
j

#8 ·
Yeah, it was just my luck. But I trust Flex Coat product especially the Flex Coat Lite. I received a new batch and coated the EPIC 888 build twice in 18+ hour. The thinning really helps me to put very thin resin for 1st layer from butt to tip and for the touch up job. The 2nd coating is 50/50 no thinning. In my case I can stop the dryer after 5 hours and let it sit overnight or even longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.