Resources to learn about bird hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jason Rolfe, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

One question on that post, and that I've been wondering regarding various makes and models in general:

You say to look for an older 870--what time period are you referring to as being the ones to look for?

Just curious.

Jason

2. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Jason, the Model 870 Wing Master was first produced in 1951 and in the early 90's the Express was introduced. In 1986 Rem Chokes became the norm. I'm not sure when quality did a nose dive, but if you look at a new 870 and then try to find a wing Master built in the 50's, 60's, or 70's you will see the difference. The Ithaca Model 37 and Browning BPS are good shotguns. Even though they are much maligned, the older Mossberg 500 are serviceable and the least expensive of the pump guns. Handle them all and see if one calls your name.:)

3. Islander

Islander Steve

That's some great advise. Bring cookies and "I'm in".
    Might also want to try your local library. Although some of the books my be somewhat dated, not much has changed in bird behavior and habitat.

4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I actually picked up a couple books from the library the other day. I'm an avid reader and writer, so I enjoy using words as a way to learn about something.

One of the books I picked up was "Upland Bird Hunting" by Joel M. Vance, published, I think, in 1981. It's actually a great read. The guy writes with enough humor and sincerity to make it interesting, and enough passion to make me care. I've been enjoying flipping through the various chapters. I never knew Brittanys were so contentious as bird dogs (or at least were, at some point)!

Jason

5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

If I remember correctly, Orvis used to have a nice little primer on upland bird hunting. I think I bought it for my son's many years ago. You might find it in a library or used book store.

6. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Contentious!! Not my sweety.:D
    [​IMG]
    As noted above, it makes a lot of sense to befriend bird hunters and as in all things the more you learn the better to make good decisions.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Beautiful dog!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has shared some thoughts on this topic and pm'd me. Looking forward to learning more, and hopefully getting out in the field with some of you. Can't wait to cook up my first grouse--whenever it finally happens!

Cheers,

Jason